Table of contents:
- Why do we need bumpers in a crib, what characteristics should they have
- Most popular rim designs: from simple to complex
- Features of the choice of material for the manufacture of the cover, interior and fasteners
- How to get started withmaking skirtings
- What materials may be needed to make the simplest sides
- Features of making items to soften furniture walls
- What can be used to make cushions for a baby crib
- Aspects of making barrier pillows at home
- From what you can make original toy bumpers
- How to make crib soft toys that will protect you
- Additional functionality of different types of bumpers after direct use
- Features of decorating soft elements in different ways
- The principle of connecting parts of the product
To protect a newborn baby from many problems that may arise during sleep, you need to properly equip the baby's sleeping place. The best option would be a high-quality mattress and the presence of bumpers on the walls of the cradle. If a good mattress with orthopedic characteristics can only be purchased, then the second element of bedding is easy to sew on your own. There are many options, thanks to which you can understand how to sew the bumpers with high quality and correctly. It is worth paying attention to the choice of quality materials and the correct design of the product.
Why do we need bumpers in a crib, what characteristics should they have
Cribs for a newborn baby's crib are not decoration, but a necessity. This protection option ensures the safety of the baby during sleep - the baby will not be able to hit the hard walls of the furniture. Additionally, soft bedding elements protect against drafts or hypothermia. Decorative function is also not excluded.
Before sewing the sides, it is worthinquire about what the elements should be:
- Cover covers must be made of quality fabric that will not shed, roll or fiber during use.
- The filler must not be toxic. However, natural materials are not welcome, as they can cause allergic reactions.
- The elements should be soft, of the appropriate size, securely attached to the walls of the crib.
There are other criteria for assessing the quality of the sides, determined by individual preferences and requirements. It is worth checking that all the elements are well fixed, otherwise the child will be able to tear off or pull a trifle into his mouth.
Most popular rim designs: from simple to complex
The easiest way is to decide which to sew the bumpers in the crib with your own hands, after you get acquainted with all possible types of products. Each option differs in pattern features, functionality, and appearance.
Possible types of homemade bumpers that have diverse designs:
- Flat sides, where each element closes one wall of the crib.
- Cushion sides with removable covers.
- Quilted sides that cover the walls of the crib to the very top.
- Rounds in the form of rollers covering the bottom of the walls of the crib.
Each option has its own characteristics regarding the design and arrangement. The more complex the pattern, the more interesting and elegant the whole will look.design. Additional decorative elements and inserts can be a relevant addition to even the simplest product design.
Features of the choice of material for the manufacture of the cover, interior and fasteners
The he alth of the baby depends on the quality of raw materials, so when buying materials, you should pay attention to some points. The filler, the cover for the sides and the fasteners should be considered as separate components.
- Foam rubber is a good filler. It keeps its shape well, does not get lost during operation and washing. But it can retain excess moisture, which can cause the development of pathogenic microflora.
- Hollofiber will be an excellent alternative to synthetic winterizer and especially cotton wool. Soft, does not stray, is not a basis for the development of bacteria, easy to care for. Over time, it may stray into breasts that will have to be separated by hand.
- More expensive alternatives to holofiber are: periotek, hollcon, polyester. Each option has extremely positive characteristics, one of which is hypoallergenic.
Covers should be made from natural fabrics with a soft base. You can use fabrics made of synthetic fibers that are of high quality according to all criteria. The best way to fix it is with ties that connect the elements to each other and to the walls of the cradle. Only after choosing good materials for the job can you decide how to sew the bumpers safe and practical within the framework of use for a particular type of crib.
How to get started withmaking skirtings
To get started, you need to study the instructions for manufacturing this device for limiting the walls of the crib. The algorithm for manufacturing the sides is quite simple. You can sew the bumpers into the crib with your own hands if you follow several steps:
- Prepare suitable tools and materials.
- Take measurements from the crib, create sketches.
- Create patterns and a pattern for an element.
- Make a basting, and then sew a pattern.
- Decorate if necessary.
- Wash and iron.
Each stage takes time to complete, then the product will turn out neat. Particular attention should be paid to the calculations that relate to the parameters. It is worth considering that a lot of fabric goes into hemming the edges.
What materials may be needed to make the simplest sides
The simplest in design are flat sides. One piece completely covers one wall of the cradle, so manufacturing takes a minimum of time. For manufacturing, it is worth preparing the following materials:
- It is preferable for this type of construction to choose foam rubber as a filler.
- The fabric from which the covers will be made. The amount depends on the parameters of the crib.
- Dense ribbons that will become ties. It is worth preparing about 10 meters.
- Sewing thread to match the color scheme of the cover fabric.
We need to prepare the tools that will be useful in the work. This set is standardfor the manufacture of any type of sides. You will need scissors, a sewing needle, a measuring tape, chalk. Additionally, it is worth taking an iron and preparing the place of work by removing unnecessary items from the surface of the table.
Features of making items to soften furniture walls
When the tools and materials are prepared, measurements are taken from the cradle and a sketch is prepared, you can get to work.
Algorithm for how to sew bumpers in a crib for newborns:
- Using a measuring tape, transfer the parameters of the walls to the fabric. Use chalk to draw the borders of each element.
- Cut the fabric with scissors. Cut out parts of the same shape from foam rubber. The dimensions of the filler should be 5-7 cm smaller than the fabric pieces.
- Fold the edges by 2-3 cm and iron, fixing the position of the hem. Once again, bend the edges 2-3 cm and iron the edges again.
- Batting stitch the smoothed edges to prevent them from coming apart during the final stitching.
- Evaluate the resulting product. You can correct irregularities or other errors.
- Prepare ribbons. Cut the material into strips 25-35 cm long, process the edges.
- Sew the sides to the crib with your own hands according to the pattern. You can also use a sewing machine. Fix the tapes in the corners.
It is enough to wash and iron the finished products. During the manufacturing process, it is necessary to make periodic fittings in order to understand whether the parameters of the sides correspond exactlywall sizes.
What can be used to make cushions for a baby crib
Cushion cushions are a very relevant accessory for a baby's cradle. For manufacturing, you will need the most affordable and simple materials:
- Fabric, according to the quantity corresponding to the parameters of the crib. You can take half calico and half plush. If you use multi-colored shreds, you get an original design.
- Hollofiber or similar type of filler. The quantity is determined by the density of the future product. If there is little filler, then the pillow fabric can be stitched, forming a quilt.
- Threads to match the color of the fabric.
- If necessary, you can choose textiles for surface decoration.
After the selection of materials, you can decide how to sew cushion bumpers. When using multi-colored parts, it is desirable to think over the color scheme of combinations.
Aspects of making barrier pillows at home
Sew your own baby crib bumpers in the form of small pillows as easy as flat products. Cushion making principle:
- Make patterns for pillows. Each piece should be a square. You need to make an equal number of parts from each type of fabric.
- Roll up the edges and press down. Perform the same action again.
- Make basting by sewing the edges.
- Cut strips from the fabric and stitch them to form ribbons. Thanks to these elements, the pillows will be attachedto the wall rails.
- On the sewing machine, sew the parts on three sides. Sew textile strips into the corners.
- Insert the filler into the workpiece, evenly distributing it over the entire plane. Sew up the fourth side.
The product is ready for use. You can tie each pillow to rods, or you can secure a strip of fabric by stretching it between the corners of the walls. It is to this element that all pillows will be tied.
From what you can make original toy bumpers
You can make the fence more interesting and functional if you make each element in the form of a three-dimensional toy. To work, you need to prepare a set of such materials:
- Soft fabric in different colors.
- Sewing threads.
- Yarn for knitting.
You can sew baby bumpers in the form of toys using patterns of almost any shape. A suitable form would be a cloud, moon, sun, bear's muzzle. Showing imagination, you can make toys for the fence in the form of other shapes and figures.
How to make crib soft toys that will protect you
First, you should decide on the theme. Often there are combinations in which there are clouds, the moon and the sun. You can make round muzzles of animals, actualizing the attention on the secondary finish. Another option for girls is cartoon images of girls' faces, and for boys, respectivelybabies.
Recommendations on how to sew bumpers with your own hands:
- Make patterns, which then need to be sewn and filled with filler.
- You need to fix the ties so that you can conveniently arrange the elements along the walls.
- On the canvas of the toy pillows, embroider according to the theme.
When embroidering, yarn or ribbon can be used. Other elements can be formed from the fabric to decorate the canvas of one element of the side.
Additional functionality of different types of bumpers after direct use
You can sew bumpers for newborns with your own hands only if the products will be actively used in the future. If the product will be pillows, then in the future they will be used as decorative elements to decorate a sofa, bed.
Flat sides can later become a warm base for the floor, where the baby will play. Other options will also become relevant in the process of further use. Especially the baby will like to play with the sides, which are toys.
Features of decorating soft elements in different ways
After determining how to sew baby bumpers, and what pattern will be used, you can think about decorating. When making this type of thing for very young children, you cannot use such decorativeelements: buttons, beads, sequins, pebbles.
You can use ribbons, ruffles from the same fabric as the product itself. Other elements can be made from textiles, which will become the decor of the sides:
- Pockets inside and outside elements.
- Appliques and patches in the form of diverse characters.
- Ruffles that will become a frill at the seams of the product.
A special type of decoration will be a combination of several types of fabrics that differ in texture and texture. You can make beautiful embroidery of initials from ribbons. Bright fabrics with children's prints will replace any additional decoration.
The principle of connecting parts of the product
Many people are interested not only in how to sew bumpers into a crib, but also how to choose an original mount:
- Ties are standard.
- Velcro loops are less common.
- Button girth.
- Elastic band.
Each option is relevant for a certain type of cradle wall construction. You can think of other mounting options.