- DIY Christmas boxes: ideas and options
- Tools and materials
- How to make a Christmas box
- How to decorate (easy ways)
- Decoupage boxes
Long before the winter holidays, many people start preparing gifts for their loved ones and friends. Now hand-made souvenirs are becoming more and more popular. If you are not sure that you can handle some complex product, a spectacular DIY Christmas box can be an alternative. And already in it you put the purchased product. As they say, packaging is half the gift. It depends on the first impression. It is easy to make a beautiful box both on the basis of an existing blank and completely from scratch.
DIY Christmas boxes: ideas and options
Carton packaging can be used for both sweet gifts and any souvenirs. A beautiful box will look great in a festive interior as a container for storing things or just decor. Thus, it can be given a different functional purpose, and, accordingly, the size: from a miniature version in the form of a box for jewelry or jewelry to a large-sized interior object. As the lastoption, a standard rectangular design with a themed decoration is more appropriate.
A package for a sweet or other small gift can be made into any suitable holiday object, such as this:
- Christmas decorations.
- Magic chest.
- Christmas trees.
- Santa Claus, Snow Maiden, snowman.
- Fairytale house.
For kids, options such as a car, a steam locomotive, various animals are also suitable.
Tools and materials
To make a beautiful Christmas box, you will need the following:
- Cardboard (immediately decorative or regular packaging).
- Beautiful paper, wrapping fabric (if the backing is not pretty).
- Paints with brushes as an alternative to wrapping with cloth or wrapping paper.
- Template, box diagram (optional).
- Scissors, knife.
- Glue (better thermal gun).
- Decorative elements (satin ribbons, floral tape with patterns, bows, snowflakes, sparkles, artificial snow, voluminous and flat stickers).
As you can see, nothing complicated is used to make the base, and you choose the decoration option based on your capabilities.
How to make a Christmas box
If you do not have a cardboard blank, but have, for example, a flat sheet of material, the packaging will have to be done from scratch, namely, from the development drawing (schemefor folding).
Christmas gift boxes in this case will be done like this:
- If you do not understand how to design a circuit yourself, choose a suitable ready-made template.
- Print the blank in the desired scale.
- Circle the sample along the contour, attaching the blank to the cardboard. If it is not possible to print the template, then just use it to build it yourself using drawing tools.
- Cut out the pattern.
- Before assembling a flat circuit into a three-dimensional structure, draw guides (recesses, grooves) along the fold lines with a non-cutting but sharp object (non-writing rod from a pen, corner of a ruler, knitting needle). This will allow you to carefully fold on thick cardboard without wrinkling.
- Fold all the parts of the box.
- Glue with allowances.
- If your box consists of two parts, a base and a lid, then make the second element using a similar technology.
- Now you can start decorating in any way.
If you have the opportunity to immediately print a ready-made color box template, you do not have to worry about how to decorate the surface. If the received box does not yet look like a gift at all, but is made of gray cardboard, do not be discouraged. Everyone can turn an ordinary blank into a real masterpiece.
How to decorate (easy ways)
To make Christmas gift boxes, it is not necessary to create them from scratch. Canmake full use of the available blanks (packages for tea, sweets and other goods). You can decorate the existing packaging and turn it into a real masterpiece in the following ways:
- Use scrapbooking techniques and related elements.
- Cover with fabric, glue lace, braid, ribbons, bows.
- Wrap with themed wrapping paper.
- Apply applique from quilling elements.
- Draw New Year's pictures and patterns on a surface covered with white ground.
- Glue paper snowflakes made, for example, with curly hole punches.
- Add artificial snow.
In fact, there are many options, and the possibilities for creativity are great.
A very showy Christmas box can be made with this method by decorating a cardboard base. The meaning of the technology is that on a primed surface (acrylic white paint, for example) special thin paper or ordinary table napkins with thematic drawings are glued.
After drying, the surface is varnished, complemented with sparkles, artificial frost and other effects.
So, you have learned how to make a New Year's box. Choose from a pre-made template, standard base and custom design, or create your own custom packaging from scratch.