Table of contents:
- What is Photoshop?
- Editor Benefits
- Program flaws
- Creative Opportunities
- Basic working methods
- Wedding photographer problems
- High quality holiday album
- Do photos of children need to be corrected?
- How can I avoid retouching?
- Summing up
In the age of modern technology, cameras also rise to the occasion. An abundance of lenses for different genres of shooting, filters and special lenses help to make a great shot almost on the first try. But even here there are those who want to improve even more. Thanks to this, various programs for artistic photo processing are very popular. Even a child knows the name of the most common of them. Of course, we will talk about "Photoshop".
What is Photoshop?
Everyone who has a computer has ever come across this program, which is the most advanced graphics editor. It can work with any digital image. The number of tools allows artists and photographers to show their imagination to the fullest. For a beginner, it may seem difficult tounderstanding, but it's worth watching a couple of video lessons, and everything will fall into place.
How is the artistic processing of photos in Photoshop different from working in other programs?
- Accessibility. The demo version is completely free to download and easy to install on the user's computer.
- Versatility. Both amateurs and professional designers can create their masterpieces here. There are tools for elementary and artistic photo processing.
- Lots of features. Huge selection of filters and brushes, backgrounds and more
- Free extensions. You can add missing options by downloading add-ons from the Internet.
- Easy to learn. If you use the program at an elementary level, it is easy to figure out the processing yourself.
- High quality picture.
- Difficulty of mastering at a professional level. It will take a lot of time for successful artistic processing of photos in Photoshop. But this can be done gradually, devoting at least an hour every day. For study, not only your own files are suitable, but also those taken from the Internet.
- Full version is paid. You will have to pay a certain amount once a month or buy an Adobe software package. Usually subscribe for an indefinite period. But it can be interrupted by contacting the company 14 days before the next write-offmoney.
With the help of the Photoshop editor, in addition to processing photos in an artistic style, you can perform other tasks: create your own drawings, wall posters, augmented reality images, calendars, covers for magazines and other printed publications, postcards.
Basic working methods
There are many ways of artistic processing of photos. It is not necessary to use all of them, but it is better to know the possibilities of the program. Some tricks can be very helpful depending on the idea.
- Intensification of lighting. It will be needed to eliminate dark spots and shadows where it is not needed. To do this, highlight the necessary places on an additional layer and overlay the original image on it using the ColorDodge tool.
- Using levels when working with photography helps soften tones, get rid of overexposed areas.
- Change in tone. It is necessary to create an adjustment layer and experiment with the settings of the color hue, saturation and brightness on it. You can also create multiple fill types and overlay them.
- Increase contrast. Sometimes you want the photo to be clearer and more detailed. Then increase the contrast of the midtones.
- Sunset. Usually the pictures of this part of the day are very beautiful and without additional processing. But sometimes the tone is toocold. To add warmth to the frame, use a gradient map where the appropriate colors are selected.
- Mood change. It happens that the face in the photo lacks a smile. This too can be fixed using Puppet Warp.
- Correction of skin tone is one of the most requested artistic photo manipulations. To prevent a person from getting lost in a retouched frame, you can change the hue with a separate soft brush, after adjusting the values in the Hue / Saturation tab. The program also helps to give the skin an aristocratic pallor or vice versa to emphasize the expressive relief.
- Reduce noise interference. This defect often irritates the eye, resembling small grains of sand that are unnecessary in the frame. It appears when there is a lack of natural light and shooting indoors. To remove it, use the channels palette.
- Generates a retro or sepia tone. Achieved using filters.
- Giving expressiveness to the eyes. The layer blending mode "Luminance" is applied.
Wedding photographer problems
This day is very solemn and restless at the same time. The person conducting the shooting faces many difficulties, which only artistic processing of photographs will help to cope with. Capricious weather will make the day gloomy and overcast. Too bright sunlight threatens to overexpose the pictures. "Superfluous" people will fall into the frame. Suddenly the wind will blow, it will rain. Rapid change of events does not provide an opportunity to properly debug the settings. A large number of people are watchingat the photographer out of sync.
High quality holiday album
What will help to revive even the most lost frames? No professional can do without the artistic processing of wedding photography. A beginner in this field will only need to master the rules of retouching, changing tones and working with color.
Highlight the main trends in the design of pictures from the day of the wedding.
- Retro style. From time to time, the fashion for aged romantic images reappears. But the process of working to achieve this effect is quite difficult. You need to be an advanced user of "Photoshop".
- Bright colors, glare. Such pictures do not look very natural due to saturation. More like posters or postcards.
- Natural. The photographer uses only the light from the window for shooting and does not add any additional effects during processing. It looks very gentle. What suits the image of a girl getting married.
- Classic. Calm colors are preferred, there are no unnecessary objects in the frame, the exposition is built from what is available at the wedding venue. Unrealistic backgrounds, fairy-tale characters, etc. are not completed. Attention is paid to the emotional state of the groom, bride, their relatives and friends. In this case, a very beautiful bewitching shooting is obtained, requiring only a slight placement of accents in Photoshop.
- Beauty retouching is used in almost all close-ups and portraits. Photographer tellingbeautiful tale of love, it is necessary to make some reasonable adjustments to the flaws in appearance. It can be a slightly runny or worn out makeup, an unsuccessful pose that added an extra crease in an unnecessary place, or the most common pimple that jumped up at the wrong time in the most visible place. Artistic processing of photos is just what you need for such moments.
Do photos of children need to be corrected?
Images of babies often look very naturalistic anyway. But with the advent of the fashion to post pictures on social networks, the quality requirements are increasing. To give the frames expressiveness, artistic processing of children's photographs in Photoshop is necessary. But here you have to be very careful, because too much, even a little, will lead to unnatural puppet faces and artificial eyes, which will repel, and not cause tenderness.
How can I avoid retouching?
- Good choice of location. It may be a completely normal meadow or clearing in the park, but the children will be bored here. It is necessary to interest them in something or treat them to make the photo session more fun. Or go somewhere where there is some entertainment. Joyful children swinging on a swing or sliding down a slide will look perfect in the frame.
- Shorten duration. Try to shoot as quickly as possible so that the children do not get tired. Otherwise, they will start to be capricious and mischievous.
- Make the most of everyone who came to the photo shoot.
- Position correctly in relation to the baby. ATin this case, sometimes you will have to sit down or even lie down, because the growth of the model may be quite small.
- Shooting is best done in sports mode without a flash or pointing the flash sideways. Bright light will irritate the child's sensitive eyes and distract his attention. The resulting noise is easy to fix with the editor.
- You will need different lenses for close up and distance shots.
- Avoid unnecessary bright details and other children in the frame. But do not be upset if something still interferes with the plan. You can always remove interfering objects and use a fill.
- Try not to endanger equipment, keep it away from children's hands.
- Make contact with the baby. You can find out the name of the child and even play with him a little before the photo shoot. Then it will be easier for you to find a common language and the photos will turn out more lively and joyful.
- After filming, it is advisable to thank the model by giving her some souvenir or sweet.
As a conclusion, it can be noted that expressive pictures can be taken without an editor. But this requires very good technique and auxiliary equipment: different lenses, backgrounds, filters, reflectors, flashes of different power, artificial lighting and all other devices of professional photographers. But what about ordinary people and those who simply experience inconvenience from all these things, or rather from their huge number - traveling photographers and amateurscan't afford to carry it all with them. You should learn the basics of artistic processing of child and adult photography in Photoshop to compensate for the missing tools or skills. This is the secret of success: learn how to use this program - get the best pictures, admire and enjoy.