- What is soutache weaving
- History of the creation of art
- Features of weaving from soutache
- What is required to create a soutache bracelet
- Making soutache jewelry together
- Soutache as an art form
- Necklace materials
- How to make your own necklace
Recently, handmade jewelry has become increasingly popular. They are made of beads, beads, polymer clay, rubber bands and many other ways. Let's look at ways to create original DIY jewelry together.
What is soutache weaving
It is impossible to ignore accessories made of soutache. What it is? Perhaps this word is not as well known as the products themselves, which everyone has seen. Soutache is a braided silk lace that is used to trim clothes, usually for children and women.
Weaving from soutache, first of all, is carried out thanks to a single-color thread, with which the cords are fixed. And if you have at least a little experience in sewing, mastering this type of decorative art will not be difficult for you.
History of the creation of art
Soutache embroidery has been known since the 14th century, when it was actively used in decorating women's clothing in France. Later, this technique (soutache) was also used to create jewelry.
In Russia during the time of Peter I, this type of decoration was alsoknown. In the XIX-XX centuries, it was successfully forgotten about. However, in the 90s of the last century, thanks to the Israeli designer Mekhala Nagrin, who used it to create jewelry, the technique received a second life. Currently, the soutache technique is used in the manufacture of handbags, earrings, bracelets, necklaces and much more.
Is it possible to make such decorations at home? Undoubtedly. Soutache is an unusual way of creating jewelry that involves the use of silk cord. Wrapping them around beads or stones makes for great designs.
Features of weaving from soutache
Before you start creating your dream jewelry, it is advisable to draw a sketch of the planned product. It is not necessary to do this with one hundred percent similarity, but a schematic drawing will not hurt. Here are some more tips:
- Start from the middle, using a few folds of soutache cord to sew. Sheathe the main element with it and after that start adding the remaining components of the accessory.
- The reverse side is very important not only from an aesthetic point of view, but also because it is necessary that the product does not fall apart. Therefore, attach a piece of leather or felt, trace around the shape, cut it out and decorate the wrong side.
- Handle the finished product carefully, as the soutache cord is easily damaged, and if one bead falls out, it will be problematic to correct the situation.
Below we will look at how to make a bracelet using the soutache technique. Master-The beginner class will help you master this type of needlework in no time.
What is required to create a soutache bracelet
So, prepare the following materials and tools:
- Several soutache laces in different colors.
- Beads with a diameter of 5 mm and 3 mm.
- The threads are the same colors as the laces.
- A small piece of leather.
- Clasp for bracelet.
When all of the above is prepared, you can start making a bracelet.
Making soutache jewelry together
The master class lasts an average of 3 hours. Let's get started:
- In this technique, you should start from the middle of the product, but not from the end. Take a large bead and fasten it between two cords. The bead must be firmly fixed between them. Secure the laces with thread.
- Next, take two more laces of different colors and continue to sheathe the bead.
- Add 4 more beads, securing them on the sides of the main one.
- Sew the beads with soutache.
- Using small beads, form a semicircle around one of the 4 beads, then near the second, close to it.
- Fix the ends of the soutache tightly.
- Do the whole procedure on the other side.
- To make the side pieces, take two cords and fold them in half. Place small beads in the middle at the same distance.
- Add a couple more layers of soutache by inserting small beads between the beads of the completed rows.
- Cut off excess threads andfix the ends with a special clip.
- Make the second part of the bracelet in this way, sew it with the central blank.
- Sew the inside of the center of the decoration with pieces of leather. Cut them according to the size of the middle part.
- Attach the fasteners.
This is how you can make a soutache bracelet. The master class for beginners is quite simple and straightforward. With practice a few times, you will be able to make jewelry with more complex patterns.
Soutache as an art form
Soutache is a weaving technique that allows you to make jewelry not only from beads, but from beads and various stones.
Soutache weaving is gaining more and more popularity. Leading fashion houses pay special attention to such decorations. And this is not surprising, because such jewelry is suitable for both young girls and older ladies.
These beads, bracelets and earrings look fashionable and stylish. The only problem is that not everyone can afford jewelry from world designers, so there are a lot of recommendations for making soutache jewelry on your own. We offer a master class in our article. After all, be that as it may, the ability to weave beautiful jewelry will always be relevant.
Now let's look at how to make a soutache necklace. The master class is designed so that at the end you get an original decoration that will delight you and attract the attention of others.
You will need certain materials to make a necklace. But you can change the elements as you wish, replacing some stones with others:
- The main element is a cat's eye, the size of a finger knuckle.
- Agate beads 6mm in diameter.
- Mother of pearl beads size 3mm.
- Pearls - 4-5 mm.
- Flat round mother-of-pearl beads, diameter 11 mm.
- Soutache cord in three colors.
- Any thick fabric.
- A piece of leather to decorate the wrong side.
- Fishing line.
- Nylon thread.
You can also use ordinary beads, but in this case, the necklace will look much simpler.
How to make your own necklace
You can start making a necklace using the ''soutache'' technique. The photo shows how this product should turn out.
- Glue the cat's eye to the thick fabric. Cut it out, leaving an allowance of a couple of millimeters.
- Sew around the stone with beads. Use two each.
- Take a soutache cord 35-40 cm long and wrap it around the cabochon, sewing the edges of the cord to the fabric.
- Add a silver cord, and at the top, between the two cords, add beads and a black pearl.
- Add an agate bead at the top, framing it with a silver soutache.
- Sew half row with agate beads.
- Sew them with two cords and at the endconnect the blue and silver cords with the previous row, sewing with a needle.
- Flip the cords back and continue with a new row of mother-of-pearl beads.
- At the end of the row, add a 11mm mother-of-pearl bead and loop around it with cords.
- Cut off the excess cord, scorch the end lightly so that it does not unravel.
- To form the ribbon of the necklace, fasten a large agate bead at the top and then serpentine mother-of-pearl beads around them with a silver cord.
You have finished half of the product with the central part. Make the second part of the product in the same way.
Try on the decoration. If the length suits you, then you can start making the fastener:
- Make a loop on one side and sew on a large bead on the other.
- Cut out a piece of leather to the desired size and glue it to the back of the center piece.
That's all weaving ''soutache''. The master class for beginners has come to an end. Your necklace is ready!
Soutache is an art form that allows you to create unique jewelry and accessories, embody all your ideas and express yourself through the creation of beauty.