Table of contents:
- Why is it better to sew the product yourself?
- What you need to know about making your own dresses?
- What is better to sew simple dresses from?
- Recommendations from experienced dressmakers
- How to sew a simple dress pattern
- Simple maxi dress
- Bright belted maxi dress
- Dress with asymmetrical hem
- Romantic maxi dress with pockets
- Tulip dress
- Transformer dress
- Reversible sundress dress
- Summermaxi dress
There are a huge variety of shops and ateliers. The dress can be bought or ordered in any of them. But not every girl is in a hurry to buy ready-made outfits. It's simple - a thing bought in a store can be easily seen on other people, because incidents are not uncommon when two girls come to one event in the same dresses. Of course, this is not the most pleasant situation, because any representative of the fair sex wants to stand out, I want to be looked only at her. Sewing a dress according to the simplest patterns is easy, especially if you have a sewing machine at hand.
At first it may seem that sewing a dress with your own hands is very difficult. However, fashion designers have developed really simple patterns for beginners, thanks to which you can make a beautiful and stylish dress or blouse during the evening. You can also take samples of models from magazines for women. In the 90s, this was the only way to find a pattern and sew a stylish thing for yourself. The most popular among them was, of course, Burda. In our article, we will look at some simple dress patterns for beginners, thanks to which you can make yourself a stylish outfit.
Why is it better to sew the product yourself?
Dignitydress made by yourself:
- Custom design.
- An opportunity for creative expression.
- Earning on a hobby.
- Budget savings.
Special time to make your own dress for the first time is summer. After all, by the summer you want to update the wardrobe of any fashionista, and making a summer dress is very easy. How to make simple dress patterns? What fabric to choose for the product? How to sew a product? We will find answers to these questions.
What you need to know about making your own dresses?
To make simple dress patterns for beginners with your own hands, you need to know the following features of this work:
- The fabric is marked on the wrong side.
- Material for pattern - tracing paper, sheet of paper or whatman paper.
- You need to pin the base of the pattern to the fabric for proper marking.
- It is better to mark the fabric on a table or floor (on any flat surface). This will avoid mistakes in cutting and marking.
- It is imperative to process the edges and edges of products along the cut.
The most important and necessary thing of a modern dressmaker is a sewing machine. If the mood for sewing new clothes appears only occasionally, then it is not necessary to buy a new one. A hand sewing machine is also fine. You can not do without such things as scissors, centimeter tape, pins, chalk. When we already have these necessary items, we move on to buying fabrics, threads and accessories.
What is better to sew simple dresses from?
The choice of fabric is a very important process for every dressmaker. The easiest way to start sewing is from plain cotton fabrics. In the list of fabrics with which you should not start work, you can add: silk, velvet, leather, satin, knitwear, fur, fabrics with a complex pattern, as it will need to be joined.
To create a pattern of a simple dress with your own hands, you need to take measurements. The measuring tape should not sag or be too tight around the body, otherwise it may turn out to be a dress that will be difficult to move around in.
Recommendations from experienced dressmakers
Before sewing on simple dress patterns, pay attention to:
- Style. Are the clothes of the selected models suitable for your body type. Will the thing emphasize its dignity.
- Properties and color. For what season will the dress be sewn (winter, summer). Do the selected color and texture suit you.
- Product length. Mini, midi or floor length.
- The width of the product. Measure whether the width of the dress is suitable for comfortable movement, whether it is possible to wear it without any problems.
- Levels of horizontal lines. If, for example, a belt for the waist is provided, you should measure whether the length from the shoulder to the waist area corresponds to the one on the pattern.
- Neck and armhole sizes. It is necessary to calculate the sizes in such a way that the dress is comfortable for you to put on and wear.
- Allowances for the seam and bottom of the product. They are a must to do. Otherwise, the product will be shorter and narrower than necessary.
- It is also worth considering that some fabrics are subject to shrinkage after washing, that is, they maybecome shorter and narrower. Corduroy, linen and cotton are most susceptible to this property. Less - chintz, cambric, poplin, silk satin, coarse calico. Therefore, it is worth washing the fabric before sewing.
How to sew a simple dress pattern
The instruction is not too complicated, but requires care and accuracy.
- Draw a pattern based on the measurements you took.
- Transfer it to the fabric, remembering the seam allowances.
- Don't make the neckline too big or too short, you can change them later.
- Try on the base. Adjust details as needed.
- Connect the parts on a sewing machine (you can also manually).
- Finish the edges of the piece.
The basis of any dress is a pattern of a product that perfectly fits the figure, that is, a case. Of course, this is not so easy for beginner dressmakers, but sewing such a model will become a good practice.
The following are dress options with simple patterns for beginners.
Simple maxi dress
We choose a light fabric for it, as a dense one will not look beautiful. For knitwear, a zigzag stitch is best. For the dress you will need: a piece of fabric 150165 cm (with an average height of 170 cm). If you want to make the dress shorter, then instead of 165 cm, you can take the length to the knees (125-130 cm). You can also simply measure the length of your favorite outfit and add 10 cm to it for the seams. The model presented by us has the simplest pattern - a rectangle 150150 cm. Fold it in half and sew.
The side parts are sewn together, except for sections 20 cm long. These will be slots for the sleeves. In the front of the canvas we make a slit 15 cm long. This is the future neck. It needs to be overcast, but you can not do this if the fabric does not crumble. If you already have a piece of fabric, but you are not satisfied with its color, then there are a large number of dyes for different types of fabric.
Bright belted maxi dress
You will need: 170 cm of knitted fabric for the base and 2 pieces of fabric in a contrasting color of 1560 cm for the belt. We make patterns of details:
- Take your favorite T-shirt. We apply it to the fabric folded in half. Attach with pins. We circle the contour with chalk, but measure the length only to the waist. We get the basis of the upper half of the dress (do not forget the seam allowance). The width of the straps must not be less than 5 cm.
- We measure the waist. The bottom edge of the warp should be about half of the measured value plus seam allowances.
- The lower part of the dress (skirt) is made three-tiered. Each tier should look like a rectangle, the smaller side of which is the width, and the larger side is the length. Let the width of all three tiers be the same, but you can make them different. It depends on your imagination or on the cuts of matter at your disposal. The length of each tier can be arbitrary. The larger it is, the fuller the skirt will turn out.
- The belt should consist of 2 parts 1560 cm.
Thanks to the extensibility of knitwear, it will not be difficult to connect all parts of the dress. If the size of the piece of matter allows,you can refuse 3 tiers and sew a skirt from a single piece of fabric (then there will be a simpler pattern). An important point: when the belt is connected to the parts of the shirt, it is necessary to leave a seam allowance for attaching the skirt.
Dress with asymmetrical hem
For work you will need 180 cm of fabric, matching the color of the thread and 70 cm of elastic tape for sewing.
Let's make two patterns for the dress quickly and easily. In this case, for the base we take not a T-shirt, but a T-shirt. We use it in the same way as in the previous example of a T-shirt. Now we cut out a rectangle 10070 cm from the fabric (instead of 70 cm, you can choose another suitable length), sew it together and get a skirt measuring 5070. Cut diagonally with a difference of 20 cm (one edge is 50 cm, the other 70 cm).
We adjust the depth of the neckline on the future dress. We cut off a strip of fabric 2.5 cm wide, stretch it as much as possible. We measure the length necessary for edging the sleeves and subtract 2.5 cm from it. For example: the measured length is 37.5 cm. Subtract 2.5 cm. We get 35 cm. We choose the width 2.5 cm. As a result, we get a strip of 352.5 cm. Next, we measure the required length of fabric for edging the neckline. We stretch, we calculate according to the previous scheme. Example 61, 5-2, 5 \u003d 58 cm, cut in half, we get 2 parts measuring 2.529 cm. Sew on the edging strips of the fabric. We process the bottom edge of the skirt. We sew the parts, leaving room for an elastic band for sewing. We put on a tape. Trying on the product.
Romantic maxi dress with pockets
To work, you need 180-270 cm of fabric of a standard width of 150 cm, 90-180 cm of lining fabric, elastic tape for sewing, threads to match.
We take a T-shirt as a basis. Draw around the contour, leave allowances for the seams. We sew in the shoulder area and side parts. We cut out 4 parts in the form of a drop from the lining fabric, sew. Next is a simple pattern for the bottom of the dress. We sew a piece of fabric 100150 cm into a rectangle, leaving room for pockets (the width of the skirt should be 2 times the waist circumference). We get a rectangle 75100 cm. If the selected fabric is dense and heavy, then the width of the skirt should be reduced, since it will be problematic to fold it at the waist. We sew pockets into the main part of the skirt, collect it at the top. Sew on the elastic band and the top of the dress. We process the neck, sleeves, hem.
To work, you need 150 cm of fabric (in this case, knitted material is used, since it does not need to be processed along the edge). A feature of knitwear is that it needs to be stitched with a zigzag stitch. We will also need matching threads and an elastic band.
For a tulip skirt, cut a piece of fabric 140 cm wide (multiply the waist circumference by 2) and 80 cm long (or whatever you want). We measure 60 cm on both sides of the cut blank. You should get a shape similar to a trapezoid with a base of 140 cm, an upper side of 20 cm and side convex sides. We overlap two edges140 cm at the side seams, stitch and fold. Sew on the elastic band with a zigzag stitch. It should be 2.5cm shorter than your waist.
For the top of the dress, cut out 2 parts with a width of ½ waist circumference plus 20 cm (for a waist of 70 cm it is 35+20=55 cm) and a height of 45-60 cm (depending on height). We get 2 rectangles 5545 cm. On one of them we cut out a neck 3-5 cm deep and 20 cm wide. We sew the shoulder and side parts. We collect the lower edge with folds to the parameters of the waist circumference. Sew both parts of the dress.
For the product you will need 450 cm of fabric (excellent stretch), matching threads.
Sun skirt. Calculation of the cutout radius for the waist: divide the measured girth by 6, 28. For a waist of 70 cm, this is 11 cm, the diameter of the cut circle will then be 22 cm. We will choose the length of the skirt 60 cm (we can choose up to 69 cm, since the standard width of the fabric is usually 150 cm). We make a simple pattern with our own hands for a skirt. Cut out.
Next, we make stripes for the upper half of the dress. We calculate the width from the middle of the chest to the armpit through the center of the chest. For example, let it be equal to 25 cm. The length of the strip should exceed the growth by 1.5 times (for example, multiply 1 m 70 cm by 1.5 and get 2 m 55 cm). The result is two narrow and long stripes 25255 cm. Attach both stripes on the top of the skirt slightly overlapping (it should be from 7 to 12 cm), sew.
We will needanother strip of fabric for a belt 16-20 cm wide. Fold it in half, we get a belt 8-10 cm wide. We also sew it to the skirt, but the seam connecting both edges of the belt should be in front. Do not worry, this seam will be closed. Sewn long stripes can be positioned as shown in the photo above. As a result, you get 3 options at once in one.
Reversible sundress dress
This little black dress that can be worn like a sundress has two neckline options - round or V-neck. To work, you will need 180 cm of thick fabric, edging border, threads.
Below is a drawing of a simple pattern for the 44th Russian size. For each subsequent size, we add 2 cm. We circle the pattern, add 2 cm for seam allowances. We have received the base for the round neck part of the dress. We adjust the pattern so as to get a V-shaped neckline of the required depth.
To get tucks (small folds), you need to fold a piece of fabric 3 cm wide in half. We get a fold 1.5 cm wide. In the same way, we make a tuck on the other side. The resulting folds should be turned towards the center. The distance between them should be 5 cm.
We sew the parts together, process the edges of the sleeves and the neck with a piping trim, hem the bottom of the product. Dress for all occasions! Thanks to the universal color and two types of cutouts, we get a large number of options for wearing.
This is a very simple dress without a pattern that can be sewn in half an hour. We need a piece of fabric 150150 cm, threads, a ribbon of 150 cm. We cut out two parts measuring 75150 cm, sew them together with the long side. At the same time, at one end, you need to leave 16-20 cm for hands. We bend these parts and sew a hole for the tape. We sell it. We will use the ribbon as straps. All. Dress ready.
The above dresses are easy to sew without a pattern! Let your wardrobe become brighter and more diverse!