Table of contents:
- Features of working with s alt dough
- How to make DIY dough
- Recipe 1
- Recipe 2
- Recipe 3
- Recipe 4
- Recipe 5
- What tools will you need
- Drying Methods
- How to decorate figurines
- Do I need to varnish the figurines
- Sculpting figures from dough: what problems you may encounter
S alt dough modeling is an exciting activity that both adults and children are happy to master. Its advantage lies in its availability, because it does not imply serious financial costs. There are no harmful impurities in the material, it turns out to be soft and plastic, which means that wonderful figures can be made from it. How to dry s alt dough, and what is the recipe for its preparation?
Features of working with s alt dough
Modeling dough is an excellent basis for creating original crafts. Anyone can work with him. For its preparation, simple ingredients are used - water, flour and s alt. Note that, unlike gypsum, it is much more plastic. The main thing is to strictly observe the proportions and properly dry the s alt dough.
How to make DIY dough
Modeling dough can be prepared according to different recipes. For the base you will need flour, s alt, water. In some cases, vegetable oil, dyes (gouache or natural juice), glycerin, glue are added to the mixture.
For the test you will need:
- finely ground s alt - 200 g;
- flour - 200 g;
- vegetable oil - 70 ml;
In a deep bowl, mix dry ingredients, then add oil and water to the desired consistency.
For the base you need to prepare:
- flour - 300 g;
- s alt - 200 g;
- water - 0.5 cups.
All components must be combined and kneaded. If the base is intended to create thin relief figures, PVA glue (20 ml) or starch (20 g) must be added to the mixture.
This recipe calls for the following ingredients:
- wheat flour - 400g;
- s alt - 200 g;
- water - 0.5 tbsp.;
- hand cream - 20 ml.
All components must be mixed so that a homogeneous mixture is obtained. This can be done by hand or with a blender. The dough will be soft and plastic.
This recipe is suitable for sculpting three-dimensional figures. For the test you will need:
- flour and fine s alt - 200 g each;
- water - 0.5 cups;
Mix s alt with flour, pour water into the dry mixture. The result should be a plastic homogeneous mass.
For this recipeyou will need:
- flour - 1.5 tbsp;
- s alt - 200 g;
- glycerin - 60 ml;
- wallpaper glue (40 ml) and water (125-150 ml).
The base of flour and water is suitable for making fragile figurines. Mix the ingredients preferably with a mixer or blender.
What tools will you need
To create dough and figurines, you need to prepare the following tools:
- a small rolling pin;
- modeling board;
- small knife;
- cookie cutters;
- a bowl of water
- decorative elements (beads, lace, buttons);
- ballpoint pen.
After the figure is molded, you need to make it harden. How to dry s alt dough? This can be done in many ways:
- Drying in a hot oven. It is necessary to set the temperature to 50-80 ° C, let the oven warm up. Spread the figures on a baking sheet covered with parchment. The duration of drying figures from the dough will be about an hour. The exact time depends on the size of the product. If you properly dry s alt dough products, you will be able to avoid cracks and chips.
- Drying in natural conditions. S alt dough figures can be dried outdoors. This method requires more time than the first, but it is quite effective. The product must be placed on a surface ofwood or plastic. The whole process will take about 3-4 days. It is important that the figurine is not exposed to open rays and the sun and near the battery, otherwise the figurine will begin to crumble or crack.
- Cold method (in the oven). The product must be placed in a cold oven, then turn it on and heat it up to 150 ° C. As soon as the figurines dry, turn off the oven, wait for it to cool completely and only then take out the crafts.
How to decorate figurines
It is important to know not only how to dry s alt dough crafts, but also how to decorate them correctly. After the product dries, it can be painted with gouache, watercolor or acrylic paint.
- Mix watercolors with water and apply to the product.
- Combine gouache and PVA glue, evenly cover the figure.
- The figurine can be given a beautiful color even before it is molded. To do this, you need to roll a ball of dough, make a recess in it, add a few drops of dye there and knead.
For decoration of figurines, you can use beads, shells, beads, rhinestones, ribbons, lace.
Do I need to varnish the figurines
We learned how to dry s alt dough, now let's paint the finished craft with varnish to prevent fading and extend the life of the paint.
For varnishing, you can use different types of varnish:
- Liquid. It is applied to the figure in several layers.
- Thick. Protects the craft from moisture. You can use a varnish with a gloss effect or a matte finish.
- Varnish spray. Protects the craft from cracking, makes the product bright.
Sculpting figures from dough: what problems you may encounter
So, at what temperature to dry the s alt dough so that it does not crack? During the design of the product or at the time of drying, a number of problems may arise. The main ones include:
- Appearance of cracks and bubbles after drying. This may be due to the use of improperly selected flour or non-compliance with the drying rules. For figured products, low-grade inexpensive flour is suitable. You need to dry the craft in a preheated oven with the door ajar.
- Cracking after paint application. If you paint a craft that is not completely dry, cracks will appear. How to dry s alt dough in this case? You need to let it dry in the fresh air, smooth out the defects with sandpaper and reapply the coloring compound.
- The product cracked in the center. This may be due to the fact that the thickness turned out to be too large. In order for the bulk product to dry evenly in the oven, it should be turned over from time to time.
- The appearance of chips. For gluing, you need to use PVA glue. An area with defects can be masked with decorative elements.
- The color of the craft has become dull. The brightness of the color will return after applying the varnish.
Crafts from the dough are beautiful and original. If you follow all the subtletiesworking with the base for modeling and knowing how to dry the s alt dough in the oven, the figures will not lose their original appearance for a long time.