Table of contents:
- What to use?
- Lens brush
- Cleaning liquid
- How to clean the camera lens from fingerprints?
- Pre-moistened wipes
- Summing up
Dust everywhere. It is inevitable, and you just have to come to terms with the fact that it gets on the lenses. Of course, many other substances such as sweat fingerprints, leftover food or something else can end up on all equipment. Here are some important tips on how to clean your camera and how to wipe your camera lens.
Small dust on the front of the glass may be harmless and even invisible in photographs. However, a large number of particles on both sides will stand out much more. Of course, it is necessary to clean the glass only in case of emergency. Here are some tips to help you clean your camera lens.
What to use?
If dust or a stain is noticed that needs to be removed, the methods in the following order should be used tominimize the risk of aggravating the problem. So, how to clean the camera lens?
- lens brush;
- cloth or pre-moistened wipes;
- cleaning fluid.
Let's consider the subtleties of applying each method separately.
First of all, you should try to clean the lens using a blower. Since it is unlikely to exacerbate the problem. If there is dust on the lens, sometimes a quick puff with a blower will be the only thing that can clean it without damage.
The natural instinct may be to simply use your own breath, but this should be avoided as this action can lead to saliva and condensation on the lens, no matter how careful one is.
- Be sure to use a blower before any other cleaning method.
- First you need to clean the device itself from potential dust. This is very easy to do, just take a few puffs away from the lens.
- And also when working, keep the blower very close to the lens without touching it to prevent air particles from getting on the glass.
- Don't use your mouth as there is a risk of saliva and condensation on the lens.
- Don't use air compressors - they can leak oil.
- Don't use freon cylinders - they becomecausing condensation.
- And no need to save money and buy a small fan either. Inevitably, you will have to go back to the bigger one, which works better and is easier to use.
If the blower is not doing its job, you need to use a brush. Brush tips sold in stores today are made from a variety of materials, but camel hair is a popular choice because the fine, soft hair helps prevent damage. It is she who is most often advised by those who are interested in how to wipe the camera lens.
The main reason why brushes are more dangerous than a blower is that foreign matter can sometimes lodge between the bristles if not handled carefully. Do not touch the brush with your fingers, this will prevent the ingress of sebum. And you also need to make sure that the brush is stored closed or packaged - this way it will stay clean longer. Grease is difficult to remove from lenses, but even more difficult to remove from a dirty brush.
The original brush was popularized by the LensPen brand. It is equipped with a brush that extends for use and slides back. The other end is a charcoal-impregnated polishing tip designed to clean sweat marks without damaging the lens. Many of the company's competitors are now also producing a similar product.
- Don't know how to wipe the camera lens at home? Use a brush withsoft fine bristles to avoid scratches. Camel hair is a great option, but if you need to clean up the dirt quickly, you can use any natural brush for makeup or even paint.
- Clean the lens surface gently to remove dust particles without scratching the glass.
- After use, close the brush to prevent contamination.
- No need to press the bristles against the lens surface.
- Do not touch the stubble with your fingers or anything other than the lens.
The most effective (and messiest) way to get everything off your lens is to use a spray bottle of cleaning fluid. Like pre-moistened wipes, it is generally alcohol-based, which can clean the lens surface without streaks and evaporate quickly to protect equipment.
Bottles of cleaning fluid are usually sold in volumes of 150, 200 and 250 milliliters and cost from 100 to 400 rubles per bottle. This product can be used in conjunction with cleaning wipes or a microfiber cloth. Facial fabrics should be avoided as they can cause scratches.
Some people don't like this method because the glass sometimes becomes "striped". In addition, it is necessary to use clothes for wiping, which is not a pity to get dirty. However, the first problem can usually be de alt with by reapplying the cleaning fluid and wiping the surface again.
- Always worth ituse a dust-removing material such as lens tissue.
- You must also use only cleaning fluid made from denatured alcohol.
Before you wipe the camera lens, you need to consider the prohibitions:
- Do not spray liquid directly onto the surface as liquid may enter the lens.
- Do not use detergents and water - this can aggravate the problem.
How to clean the camera lens from fingerprints?
Paper tissues are a safe and inexpensive option for lens renewal. Each sheet costs about 5 rubles. Since a person uses them once and then throws them away, this ensures that the material is clean and can be safely used.
But how to wipe the camera lens from fingerprints? For this, microfiber cleaning cloths have been developed. This is a truly effective way to clean stains. These napkins will cost an average of 1–8 rubles, but there are also more expensive ones - it all depends on the brand. Microfiber cloths are more expensive than regular cloths and are meant to be used for a long time before being thrown away or sent to the launderer. Therefore, this tool is even better suited if the question is how to clean the camera lens from prints.
One of the main drawbacks is that grease or dirt that needs to be cleaned is likely to remain on the lens. In addition, reuse creates the risk of getting somethingor on a tissue, and subsequently on the lens, which can leave a scratch on it. Between uses, store them in a plastic bag to prevent further contamination.
- Process the fabric in circles, starting from the center of the lens.
- Store the tissue in a plastic bag to prevent contamination.
- Don't wash them with fabric softener as it can leave chemicals on the fabric that will damage the lens.
- You don't need to use a T-shirt, tissue paper or paper towels to clean your lenses.
The alcohol in wipes helps break down and clean stains. They are usually sold in boxes of 100-200 pieces for 200-300 rubles. This can be handy if you keep a few tissues in your camera bag. They are disposable, so they are safer and more convenient than the previous option.
If used to clean the lens with a blower, brush, wipes or liquid cleaners, this should solve most dust problems. Any really stubborn stains should be handled by professionals to prevent damage to expensive equipment.
If the problem with dust is not on the lens, but on the sensor, you should also contact your local specialist. No one should ever try to decidethis problem at home. The glass on the lenses is strong enough to be machined on your own, but the sensors are incredibly sensitive to scratches and can become dust magnets.
It is worth remembering that the condition of camera lenses is one of the main factors affecting image quality. Clean lenses help you get clear, high-quality photos. Plus, they will last longer than dirty lenses for obvious reasons.
We hope that this article has answered the question of how to clean the lens of a SLR camera.