Table of contents:
- What fabrics are used in the manufacture of toys
- Which stitches to use
- Sewing soft toys with our own hands
Child psychologists say that a child older than three years old must have their own toys, different to the touch, so that children have different tactile feelings upon contact.
And although you can find a wide variety of options on sale, it is much more interesting to make toys with your own hands. We always sew with warmth and love, so the products are bright and unique.
What fabrics are used in the manufacture of toys
You can sew toys with your own hands from a wide variety of fabrics. Suitable material must be selected based on the size of the future product and its purpose:
- Knitwear - this material stretches very easily, so you can sew a wide variety of toys from it (bear, horse, bunny, cube, etc.).
- Velvet or wool is quite pleasant to the touch. They will make wonderful soft toys in the form of animals.
- Faux fur is perfect for making decorative animal pillows.
- Felt is a pretty interesting choice to work with. From felted fabric, it is best to sew individual small parts in the form of paws,ponytail, nose, etc.
- Silk is a problematic fabric for making soft toys. It slips in the hands, it is inconvenient to work with it. But silk will be indispensable in the manufacture of dolls, incredible outfits for little beauties will come out of it.
- Cotton fabrics. Chintz, satin, etc. have bright and rich shades. Therefore, toys made from these materials will turn out to be very beautiful.
To make a pattern on which you are going to sew toys with your own hands, it is best to use fairly thick cardboard. It adheres perfectly to the fabric and holds its shape for many years, so the finished patterns can be stored in a separate folder.
The pattern is applied to the selected piece of fabric, circled with a pencil or a bar of soap. When cutting, it is necessary to ensure that the parts are of the same size, shape and match the sides (they should not look in the same direction). They need to be cut out and proceed to the tailoring of the product.
Which stitches to use
When making toys with our own hands, we sew or just cut the material, the work must be done very carefully, only in this case a product will come out that you can be proud of.
If non-bulk materials are used in the work, then seam allowances can be omitted. Then it is best to use a buttonhole, it looks neat, the finished partdo not turn inside out.
If the material has a bad property to crumble, then it is necessary to leave allowances for the seams. With this option, the parts should be turned right side out. For sewing, it is better to select strong threads that match the color of the fabric.
You can fill the finished toy with a variety of materials. The most popular ones:
- Sintepon is the most common artificial material that is often used in the manufacture of toys with our own hands, we sew a large product or a small one, it can be easily washed, and it dries quickly enough. In addition, the synthetic winterizer is very light.
- Sintepukh - this artificial material is more convenient to use, it is a small balls, which are stuffed with toys. Sintepukh does not roll down and does not cake over time.
- Foam rubber is a synthetic material that will make the toy very soft. However, today this type of filler is used very rarely.
- Wadding. Although this material is soft and airy, it will not withstand even the first washing test and will clump. The toy will immediately lose its beautiful appearance.
- Sliver is sheep's wool. To properly fill the toys with our own hands, we sew the product, and divide the sliver into small pieces, you should get a fluffy bunch, and you need to fill the toy with it, making sure that there are no voids and irregularities. The disadvantage of natural fillers is that they require special care and cancause an allergic reaction.
- Grains and herbs. Before stuffing, such a filler must first be placed in a bag of coarse calico or linen. The blank of the toy in this case should be buttoned or zippered, since it can only be washed without filler.
Sewing soft toys with our own hands
When creating any product (including toys), you need to act according to a certain algorithm, only in this way you get a neat and correctly done job. The toy is sewn like this:
- first of all, you need to decide on the model of the future product;
- choosing a suitable fabric (here it is necessary to follow the recommendations presented above);
- preparing the fabric for work (washing and steaming it);
- we cut and sew toys with our own hands, patterns can be found in this article (basting and stitching on a sewing machine or manually);
- next you need to assemble the parts and stuff the finished toy;
- at the final stage, the fittings are sewn on and the product is decorated with additional details as desired.
Making toys with your own hands is a great opportunity to do something new, get rid of unnecessary things and spend more time with your beloved child. Involve your baby in work - it will do him good. And there is no need to limit yourself to certain materials, because creativity is always a flight of fancy.