Table of contents:
- Features of technology
- Patchwork bag step by step
- Materials and tools
- Sew bag and lining
- Making handles
- Final assembly of the product
Patchwork style bags have won the hearts of fashionistas around the world. The original combination of textures, colors, applications, unusual decor and uniqueness are the main features of products made in patchwork technique.
The art of patchwork has been known since ancient times, and today it has received a second life. In the past, housewives sewed products using patchwork technique due to the lack and high cost of fabrics, later it became a tradition, and the technique was inherited. Each craftswoman had her own original scheme for creating decor items.
Patchwork bags are unique in design and are usually one of a kind. Masters do not like to repeat themselves, and each time they create a bag in the patchwork style with their own hands in original colors and using different techniques. There are a lot of techniques. We will talk about some of them in this article. Createeven a novice craftswoman can make a stylish patchwork bag with her own hands. And the detailed master class presented below will help with this. So let's get started!
Features of technology
Patchwork is a kind of needlework, the main feature of which is the creation of a canvas from fabric patches. The color scheme and texture of individual elements can be any. Thanks to this, the patchwork fabric has an original design.
In the past, patchwork technique was used to make interior and decor items: blankets, bedspreads, blankets; covers for pillows, armchairs, poufs; tablecloths and curtains; tacks. Nowadays, craftsmen have begun to use patchwork more often to decorate clothes and create accessories.
There are a large number of techniques for sewing together textile flaps. Some masters develop their own author's techniques. The main techniques include the following:
- Traditional. This technique involves the use of geometric patches: squares, rectangles, stripes, triangles. A solid canvas is used as a lining. The traditional technique is quite simple to perform and suitable for beginners.
- American. This technique combines traditional patchwork with quilting. A patchwork fabric is used as a lining. The product turns out to be double-sided, it is supplemented with decorative stitches.
- Japanese. A distinctive feature of oriental technology is the careful selection of color combinations of materials. Often masters lay out from flapsmosaic paintings or complement products with applications. This technique also uses a stitch, but more as a decorative element: a stitch can imitate a pattern, pattern, embroidery. Making a Japanese patchwork bag is a difficult task that requires a high degree of skill.
- "Crazy". The shape of the flaps of this technique can be different: regular and irregular geometric shapes, round, in the form of silhouettes of people, birds, animals, fish, kitchen utensils, etc. The elements are sewn with decorative stitching, supplemented with applications, buttons, beads, beads, sequins, felted wool elements. This technique is considered aerobatics among patchwork masters.
- Knitted. This technique involves the creation of a canvas from knitted elements. You can use both knitting needles and crochet. In the latter case, the product can be made more dense or, conversely, openwork. As a rule, the parts have a geometric shape, but this is not a prerequisite.
If you have never done needlework in patchwork technique before, but want to sew a patchwork bag with your own hands, you should stop at the traditional method of making linen.
Patchwork bag step by step
The main thing in patchwork is neatness and the right choice of colors. The appearance of the future product directly depends on this. Despite the fact that there are no strict rules here, elements similar in color or pattern will look more harmonious than chaotic combinations. You can use any one you like to work.pattern. Photos of patchwork bags, sewn by hand, are presented below. Products can be of any shape, their main highlight is color and texture.
In this master class we will tell you how to sew a patchwork bag with your own hands. You won't need a pattern, as it will be a simple rectangle in shape with long handles for easy carrying on the shoulder.
Materials and tools
To make a simple and stylish patchwork bag with your own hands, you need to prepare the following materials and tools:
- Fabric. You will need at least 2 types, the maximum number is not limited. You can choose suitable textiles in the store or search in your own stocks. Old tablecloths and curtains with original textures and colors, unnecessary clothes, etc. will do. Since we will make the bag using the traditional technique, the lining will be made of a single piece of cloth. You will need a cut 32 by 83 cm.
- Threads. You can choose threads to match the fabric, or you can contrast. In the latter case, the product will look very original.
- Glue interlining. The material is designed to seal the product. This bag will be stronger and more durable.
- Iron. Useful for fixing interlining to the canvas and ironing the seams.
- Tailor's scissors, ruler, roller cutter, sewing pins, pencil (crayon).
- Sewing machine.
First of all, you need to collect a patchwork. The simplest versions of the traditional patchwork technique are canvases from squareelements or stripes. We suggest choosing the latter.
Using a roller knife and a ruler, cut the fabric into strips 83 cm long. The width can vary to your taste. When calculating the width, take into account the seam allowance (5-6 mm).
Next, fold the strips face to face in pairs and grind. The stitched elements are also stitched in pairs with each other. To create a patchwork bag with your own hands, you will need a canvas 32 cm wide, 83 cm long.
Patchwork seams need to be ironed.
Now glue the interlining. Lay the material on a flat surface with the adhesive side up. We lay a patchwork fabric on it. We fix the non-woven seal with a hot iron. You need to move the iron in “steps” and press firmly for 8-10 seconds so that the material sticks firmly. Cut off the excess non-woven fabric with scissors.
Sew bag and lining
We fold the glued patchwork fabric in half with the front side inward and grind the side seams of the future bag. Indent from the edge - 5-6 mm.
Similarly, we sew the lining.
Now you need to form the bottom of the bag. To do this, using a ruler and a pencil, we draw a square with a side of 5 cm at the bottom of the bag at the side edge. Marking must be done on both sides of the product. Next, we straighten the markup and get a “corner”. We fix it and sew along the line of the pencil. We cut the edge. We do the same on the other side and with the lining. The bag has taken shape and become more voluminous.
To make pens you will need 2strips of fabric 8 by 38 cm. Fold the strip in half and iron. Then we wrap the edges inward by about 1 cm and iron again. The workpiece must be stitched on both sides. Sew the second handle in exactly the same way.
Final assembly of the product
All the details of the future bag are ready, it remains to assemble the product and lay the final seams. We take the front side and bend the edge inward, fasten it with sewing pins or threads. We do the same with the lining.
We mark the places for attaching the handles on both sides of the product. We measure from the edge of the handles on both sides by 2 cm.
Put the lining into the bag, align the seams and secure them with pins. Attaching handles. We lower them 2 cm inward between the bag and the lining, secure with pins.
Now the edge of the product must be stitched at a distance of 2 mm from the edge. Lay the second line one centimeter from the first. It will fix the handles and make them more reliable. Remove excess threads and pins.
Stylish and original patchwork bag is ready!
Following the master class described above, it is very easy to sew a patchwork bag with your own hands. Photos of the process will help with this. We hope this article will inspire you to reach new creative heights!