- Diamond Embroidery Kits
- Creating a diamond mosaic from scratch
- Basic materials and tools
- Additional tools
- Preparation for work
- Tips & Tricks
Recently, diamond embroidery has been especially popular with needlewomen. The works created in this technique amaze the imagination with the sophistication and grace of lines, delight with the magnificent play of light. The paintings look like a real gem. Anyone can try their hand at this art. The technology for assembling a diamond panel is simple compared to other types of needlework. The detailed instructions in the article will help you create a masterpiece with your own hands. Diamond embroidery is an exciting activity and a great way to pass the evening, and the finished panel will be a wonderful addition to the interior of any room or a great gift.
Diamond mosaic got its name due to its resemblance to cross-stitch and a special play of light on the edges of the elements, similar to a diamond shine. The work is doneon the canvas, divided into cells according to the size of the rhinestones. The fields for fastening elements are marked with special symbols corresponding to a certain color. To decipher the shades will help the legend, which is available in each set. The mosaic sheet is covered with a layer of adhesive. The latter protects the substrate from drying and contamination. It can be solid (if the mosaic is small) or cut into strips for ease of use.
Rhinestones for diamond mosaic are usually made of acrylic. This is a durable material that is not afraid of exposure to ultraviolet rays. Thanks to this, the panel will delight with rich colors for many years. Mosaic elements can be round and square. The first ones are a little more difficult to work with, as precision and a trained hand are required. A mosaic of square elements looks solid and neat even for beginners. The rhinestones are faceted for beautiful highlights.
Making diamond embroidery with your own hands is not such a complicated process as it seems at first glance. All that is required is accuracy and patience.
Diamond Embroidery Kits
In the assortment of needlework stores you can find both Chinese and Korean sets for creativity, as well as domestic ones. On the Web, disputes about which of them are better do not subside. Sets from Color-Kit (China), Iteso (China), Anya (Korea) are popular. Among domestic manufacturers, positive feedback from needlewomen received: "Diamond Painting", "Spider Web", "Granny".
Usually indiamond embroidery kit included:
- Tissue base for mosaic, covered with a layer of adhesive composition and divided into sectors. Each cell is marked with an icon corresponding to a certain color. The adhesive layer is protected from drying and dust by the backing.
- Diamond embroidery rhinestones in required colors, packed in individual plastic bags with numbered stickers.
- Legend. It is needed to match the cell symbol on the canvas and the color number.
This is the basic package. Some manufacturers complete the set with a stretcher, a rhinestone gripping tool (tweezers, glue stick, special stick), organizer, sorter and corrector.
Creating a diamond mosaic from scratch
All components of the kit can be purchased separately. This is what experienced needlewomen do to create unique panels from photographs. Manufacturers offer ready-made canvases of different sizes, already divided into standard sectors and covered with an adhesive layer. To split a photo or a picture you like into cells, you can use a special program, for example, "Diamond Mosaic" version 0.9. The utility will not only divide the selected pattern into sectors, but also count the number of elements of different shades in pieces and grams. As a standard, the program uses DMC rhinestones, which are easy to find in needlework stores.
Basic materials and tools
Before starting work, you need to prepare all the necessary tools:
- Canvas (finishedfrom the kit or purchased separately). In addition, you can use the above program and print the paper base. In this case, for work, you will also need double-sided tape, which is pasted over the paper. It replaces the sticky compound that coats commercially manufactured canvas.
- Rhinestones. Experienced needlewomen pour elements into a bead organizer, but this is not necessary.
- The tool for laying rhinestones. It can be plastic or metal tweezers, a glue stick, a special stick (it is often included in sets) or a manipulator. Tweezers are considered a handy tool for working with square rhinestones. The manipulator can stack elements not only one at a time, but also in groups of up to eight pieces. Such tools are often equipped with LED lights, which makes it easier to work and protects the eyes from unnecessary strain.
The following tools make the process of creating a diamond mosaic easier, but can be easily replaced with the tools found in every home:
- Sorter. This is a special container where rhinestones are poured immediately before work. The bottom relief makes the elements stack in even rows, which is very convenient when working with a manipulator. The sorter can be replaced with a palette for paints or a regular saucer.
- Corrector. This tool is for aligning rows of rhinestones to make the work lookcarefully. It is a flat plastic spatula about 10 cm wide and can be replaced with a metal ruler.
Having prepared all the necessary tools, you can start working on diamond embroidery. The instructions below will help you easily and naturally create a work of art that will take its rightful place in your interior.
Preparation for work
Typically, canvas is sold folded or rolled up. Before starting work, it must be leveled, since the mosaic elements will not hold at the folds. To do this, the base is placed under the press for several hours or overnight. Books or glass can be used as cargo. If you can’t wait to get started, experienced craftswomen recommend using an iron. The household appliance must be turned on at the minimum temperature so as not to damage the adhesive base. It is better to iron the canvas through a layer of fabric.
The workplace should be level and clean. Dust and fine pile can settle on the adhesive layer of the base, which negatively affects the strength of the fastening of rhinestones.
The work uses elements of a very small size (2-5 mm), so it is necessary to provide high-quality lighting so as not to strain your eyes and not mix up the shades. Currently, manufacturers offer special backlit LED panels to ensure the comfort of needlewomen. Such devices also allow you to adjust the angle of the work surface, which is very convenient. Of course, you can use a regular table lamp.
The following master class on creating diamond embroidery for beginner needlewomen will help make the process easy and enjoyable.
First, according to the legend, choose the color to work with. A small amount of elements is poured into a sorter or saucer. Next, peel off part of the protective film from the canvas. It is not recommended to completely remove the substrate, this will help protect the sticky layer from contamination and loss of fixing properties. In addition, if the work is not finished in one go, it can be rolled up without risk of damage with a protective film.
Using tweezers or other tool, grab a rhinestone and place it on the corresponding cell on the canvas. The element must be pressed lightly. It is not recommended to apply force, this will later allow you to smoothly align the rows of rhinestones vertically and horizontally. In addition, excessive pressure may damage the base.
The process of laying elements continues, changing colors, according to the symbols indicated in the cells. At the end of a row or column, it is aligned with a corrector or a metal ruler.
When the work is finished and all the elements are in place, they must be finally fixed. To do this, use a rolling pin or a construction roller. The work is covered with a layer of fabric or the remaining protective film and rolled with force.
Mosaic done! As you can see, the diamond embroidery technique is quite simple, even a beginner can handle the job. Now the work can be pinned tostretcher, cardboard sheet or chipboard.
All the main steps in creating a mosaic are described in detail in the instructions above. Diamond embroidery is a very exciting creative process that allows you to relax and relieve stress.
Some needlewomen, in order to more securely fix the elements, cover the mosaic with a layer of acrylic varnish. For diamond embroidery, a glossy composition is suitable. It will give the rhinestones extra shine. You can use the varnish in the form of a spray or apply the composition with a brush.
It is important to remember that the coating layer must be very thin. Otherwise, the varnish will flow between the mosaic elements, which will spoil the appearance of the work. As a rule, it is enough to apply 1-2 coats of coating to achieve a strong fixation of the rhinestones on the canvas. Each layer of acrylic lacquer needs to dry for a day.
How to make diamond embroidery? The finished work can be placed in a baguette frame. It is best to use a simple frame so that it does not distract from the main plot of the panel. The frame can be decorated with rhinestones remaining after work. The main thing is to observe the measure so that the work does not seem overloaded.
To protect the panel from dust, it can be placed under glass. It should be borne in mind that it is better to choose an anti-reflective material for a diamond mosaic. If you use ordinary glass, then the radiance of the work itself will be blurred. It should be borne in mind that mosaics coated with acrylic varnish do not need additionalprotection.
Modular paintings are very popular in modern interior design. They are also made in the technique of diamond embroidery. This decor looks amazing. Modular paintings are fixed on stretchers and varnished. Frames and glass are unnecessary in this case.
Tips & Tricks
How to do diamond embroidery? Following the above instructions will allow you to create a magnificent panel, and the advice of experienced craftswomen will make this process even easier and more enjoyable.
- If the sticky layer is dirty, you can remove the debris with a damp art brush. It is not recommended to use cotton swabs, as they leave villi. Wet wipes will not work either: the impregnation may react chemically with the adhesive, and the work will be ruined.
- If the fixing layer is dry, you can continue to work using transparent double-sided tape or a glue gun. In the latter case, the fixing composition will have to be applied directly to each element of the mosaic, and not to the canvas.
- Some large works consist of several canvases, in order to fasten them together, you need to cut one part and stick it overlapping, observing the markup. Rhinestones fixed on top will hide the joint.
The paintings made in the technique of diamond embroidery are a real work of art. It is quite easy to create such a masterpiece with your own hands. We hope that the detailed instructions for diamond embroidery presented above will help beginner needlewomen cope.with work.