Crochet has always been popular among people of all ages, in addition, sometimes it is a favorite pastime of the strong half of humanity. Everyone has their own priorities in this type of needlework - someone is limited to decorative napkins, someone to toys, and some knit clothes, blankets and bedspreads. It all depends on the desire, perseverance, availability of free time and materials. As a rule, for any product you can always find a pattern, whether it be a pattern or a shape, and usually there are no particular problems in repeating a pattern already previously developed by someone.
Products acquire the necessary shape, and the pattern is quite easy to guess even for beginners. However, there are situations when a ready-made scheme will not help. For example, there is no source at hand where one could look, or there is no desire to once again copy someone else's, there is no ability to read diagrams, or simply any diagram, made extremely scrupulously, takes on an absolutely wrong look or shape (there are such cases). Whatmake? Create! Create masterpieces even without the possibility of repeating them later, knit everything and how you like? "Nonsense!" many will say. No, the freeform technique!
What is this?
Freeform (literally from English) - free form. The essence of this technique is knitting products without patterns. As a rule, this is modular or pseudo-modular creativity, each detail of which, unlike the classic version, can have a different shape, texture and pattern. The combination of fabric, leather, crocheted and knitting elements with the addition of beads, beads and rhinestones is actively used. In general - what is enough imagination.
A feature of this technique is that you can knit products in any direction, it is not necessary to knit the row to the end before turning the work. This is what allows you to make elements of the necessary form.
The freeform crochet technique is the perfect way to recycle leftover yarn. Moreover, its advantage lies in the fact that it is not necessary to select threads of the same thickness for the product. It even encourages the combination of thin and thick, smooth and fluffy, natural and synthetic threads. This gives the product an interesting texture. That is why one of the ways to use the freeform technique is to knit sensory mats for the development of the baby.
The main thing to remember is that the use of threads of different thicknesses with the same pattern makes the elements different in size. It is especially important to take this into account if the modules of the product are fastened not at the end of the work, but eachthe next element is knitted on the previous one. Elements from multicolor threads look interesting. A smooth transition of colors allows you to limit yourself to only these threads, and their combination will help to facilitate the choice of yarn for other elements. It is also very convenient to use these threads to connect modules to each other.
As such, there are no special crochet techniques. It is enough to know the principle of knitting the main types of columns. For those who decide to take the hook in their hands for the first time, this master class will help you get to know them.
The freeform technique often makes it possible not to use elements such as lifting loops, and columns of different heights can be adjacent in one row. In addition to simple posts, you can also use decorative ones - lush, crossed or twisted. The latter are especially popular, since when using them, the density of the product changes slightly, but they look very attractive.
Forms are also not regulated in the freeform technique. For beginners, knitting can be started using elementary shapes and stripes. If you have certain skills, you can move on to more complex elements - flowers, leaves, shells and others. However, this does not mean that it is necessary to specifically look for element diagrams, it is enough to clearly represent the desired form of the element.
There are two ways to match:
- Knitting from the center. It consists in adding rows of certain columns until the desired result is achieved. For example, for a flower, alternate RLS, CH, C2H 3 times, CH, RLS. Moreover, in each row, the RLS should be above the RLS, the rest may vary in number, but the overall sequence must be maintained. For sharp ends, C2H is knitted only 1 time and it is combined in the same way as in the case of RLS. For shells, you can use a smooth transition from half-columns to C2H. This freeform crochet method is better for beginners than the second one.
- Filling the perimeter. This method is convenient for knitting complex shapes, but requires some skill. Initially, it is necessary to draw an element on thick cardboard, then tie a VP chain with a length equal to the perimeter of the element, after which it is fixed with needles along the contour of the drawing. Then fill all the inner space randomly.
I blinded him from what was, well, what was, then I fell in love
The words of the famous song by Alena Apina very accurately convey the main mistake when crocheting using the freeform technique. The desire to make a product bright and memorable sometimes leads to the fact that it becomes vulgar, and the abundance of various forms makes it tasteless.
Despite the fact that this technique does not have strict limits, it is still worth following a few rules:
- When choosing a yarn color, it is better to stop at 3-4 types, but if you want to diversify them, you can use their shades (darker - lighter). It is convenient to use the circular compatibility table.
- The product must haveidea. It will be either a floral motif, or a marine theme, or a mosaic, or waves, and so on. It is not necessary to do everything together without any systematization. As a rule, one motif is taken as a basis - a flower, a shell, a circle. It can be different colors, but the same size, or vice versa. And already a common composition is built around them.
- If the product will consist entirely of elements, then you must first make a pattern, on which the modules will already be laid out. Thanks to this, it will be possible to control their number and size.
If the product consists of different elements, the final step will be their connection. They can be sewn with a simple thread or crocheted. They must first be laid out on the surface, the shape of which must be given to the finished product, and then proceed to stitching. Usually, first 2 modules are fastened, then all the rest are attached to them in turn. It is best to start from the center of the piece.
Some photos of finished products in the freeform technique for inspiration.
This product uses a variety of colors, but they are all the same saturation. That is why the shawl looks harmonious.
The product in this technique can be monophonic, while looking original. The main thing is to choose the right size of the elements and the thickness of the thread. In this case, the yarn is too thick, which is why the pattern is a bit rough.
You can create not only flat objects, clothes and toys, but also entire three-dimensional compositions.
Freeform crochet for beginners on the one hand is an interesting experience and the ability to realize any ideas without special skills. However, after that it will be very difficult to learn to knit according to the patterns, clearly following each step and without adding your own elements. It will be difficult for experienced craftsmen to deviate from the usual repetition and go beyond the drawn schemes. That is why knitting in this technique is an interesting experience for everyone.