- What are underwater cameras?
- What to look for when choosing?
- Tenth place - Xiaomi Yi Action camera
- Ninth place - Contour Roam camera 2
- Eighth Place - Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX30 Series
- Seventh place - Pentax Optio WG-1
- Sixth place - Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT4
- Opens the top five Nikon Coolpix AW130
- Fourth place - Olympus Stylus Tough TG-4
- Third place - FUJIFILM FinePix XP80
- Second place - Nikonos 5
- First place - camera in box
Summer is the best time to diversify your pastime and go on a trip to the nearest sea. And if the weather is inclement outside, a vacation trip will be the best solution. If lying on the beach is no longer interesting, you can arrange yourself a truly extreme vacation. And the best underwater cameras that are not afraid of water, bumps and falls will help to leave memories for a lifetime.
Underwater sea world is incomparable. Bright colors, exotic algae and fish - how not to share such beauty with others? Maybe it is your photos and videos that will inspire friends and acquaintances to the same sea adventures. Are you going on an extreme vacation? Rating cameras for underwater photography is not an easy task. But we will try to do it. It's time to explore the top 10 underwater cameras. So, let's start learning this indispensable technique for today.
What are underwater cameras?
There are a huge number of different models of different price categories and with different characteristics on the market. All this seriously complicates the choice. And even professionals have a hard time. Usually experts in the field of extreme photography distinguish two categories of underwater cameras:
- Chambers for shallow water. Those with whom it is not recommended to shoot at a depth of more than 10 meters, the time the camera works under water varies from 20 to 60 minutes. Their mission is to capture an eventful holiday. The case of such devices is sealed, which saves equipment from moisture, dust and shock. The camera is suitable not only for underwater shooting, but also for work in rain, snow and wind. The disadvantage of shallow water devices is that in order to get high-quality and clear pictures, the water must be crystal clear. Otherwise, photos will be blurry and not sharp.
- Camera for depth. This technique belongs to the professional and is the most protected from moisture and shock. Designed for depths up to 60 meters, but some cameras are capable of more. The advantage of such cameras is a long operating time in extreme conditions. On average, the duration of the shooting can be from an hour to two. Thanks to high technical characteristics, images are obtained in high quality and with high resolution. Professional underwater cameras come with specialized filters, flashes and lighting equipment. These devices are well protected.only from water pressure, but also from mechanical damage.
If the purpose of buying a camera is to capture a vivid vacation, then look at cameras designed for shallow water.
What to look for when choosing?
First of all, you should decide for what purpose the device is being bought. When choosing, you should pay attention to such factors:
- The most important thing is depth. It is this parameter that determines how deep the camera can be immersed in water.
- The second most important parameter that affects the quality of pictures is the lens. It is worth focusing on the angle of capture. In order to regulate the process and pamper your loved ones with high-quality images, it is recommended to purchase a camera with interchangeable lenses or pay attention to models that have a wide range of capture angles.
- In order for the photos to be of the highest quality at a depth exceeding 15 meters, you will have to stock up on an additional flash. The stationary flash output is only suitable for shooting at a depth of up to 10 meters. With all this, it is recommended to shoot in the daytime or invest in a professional flash.
- The quality of photos depends on the optics and resolution of the camera's matrix. For example, for amateur photos at shallow depths, a value of 10 megapixels and ordinary glass lenses will do. If you need professional pictures, then a suitable resolution is from 16 megapixels, and the optics must be professional.
- Pay attention to thisparameter, like the strength of technology. After all, extreme photo shoots carry the risk of the device falling, for example, from a height of two meters. It is important that the camera continues to work stably. You can find out about the strength of the camera from the technical data sheet, which indicates the strength factor.
- Interface, as a parameter, is only important for convenience and has no practical use. Choose a camera with a simple interface, because shooting underwater is very dynamic, which is why you have to quickly react and set the necessary parameters.
- An image stabilizer is vital for shooting underwater.
- An important parameter is battery life. Even when shooting on land, it is very disappointing when the battery runs out at the most inopportune moment, what can we say about shooting the underwater world. Do not forget that when using an additional flash, the battery will run out many times faster, so battery power is quite important when choosing a quality camera. If anything, a spare battery will always come to the rescue.
- In addition to depth, it is important to pay attention to the temperature at which the camera will function perfectly.
Compiling a list of the best cameras capable of giving high-quality pictures is not an easy task. The leading positions are occupied by world giants: Nikon, Olympus, FUJIFILM. The review of underwater cameras begins with these models.
Tenth place - Xiaomi Yi Action camera
Recognized as one of the best action cameras in the world2018. The camera is very small and can even fit in a jeans pocket. XIAOMI Yi Action Camera can be controlled remotely via Wi-Fi. The camera has three buttons: turn on, start shooting and switch the mode from photo to video. To shoot underwater, you need to purchase a water box, it allows you to dive with the camera to a depth of 40 meters.
- screen resolution - 16 megapixels, the pictures are sharp and bright;
- there are no settings for the camera, in order to control the device, you must install a proprietary application and work via Wi-Fi;
- video shooting - Full HD at 60 frames per second;
- you can go down 100 meters;
- convenient mount will not allow the device to end up at the bottom of the sea.
The main advantage of the camera is an affordable price and excellent quality. In addition to good technical characteristics, the camera looks quite nice. This waterproof underwater camera works stably in all conditions.
Ninth place - Contour Roam camera 2
Contour Roam 2 is a non-standard cylindrical chamber. The case is protected from moisture at a depth of up to two meters, with the purchase of a water box, this value increases to 50 meters. The camera is not afraid of falls, frost or snow.
According to reviews, the Contour Roam 2 is suitable for shooting underwater. Bright, saturated pictures are obtained even in low light. Just what you need forsea depths. A convenient mount will not allow the camera to get lost at the bottom of the sea. The main advantage of the device is shooting video in Full HD quality. The gadget quickly responds to changes in lighting and location, adapts to any conditions.
Eighth Place - Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX30 Series
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX30 is recognized as the most compact camera among analogues. Technical characteristics of the device correspond to the price. You can dive with the Sony camera to a depth of 10 meters. And if the depth of immersion is low enough, then the advantage of the camera is image stabilization and an LED flashlight, which perfectly illuminates objects when shooting up close. Therefore, you can refuse to purchase a flash.
The most important advantage of the Sony underwater camera over other cameras is the IntelligentAuto function, which is responsible for recognizing the image format and automatically adjusts the device to environmental conditions.
It is not necessary to have expensive professional equipment to create amazing pictures. It is only important to learn how to properly use the available light, create a composition and correctly select the images of the future image. Of course, this should take into account all the nuances of the shooting conditions.
Seventh place - Pentax Optio WG-1
Pentax cameras are remembered by consumers for their indestructible cameras. One appearance of the device hints that it's time to go diving. Sporty design will win the heartany extreme.
Specifications match the price:
- resolution - 15 megapixels, five times optical resolution;
- diving depth with camera is 10 meters;
- will survive a fall from a height of 1.5 meters and frosts down to minus 10 degrees;
- shooting - HD video (720p).
For shooting small objects, of which there are a huge number under water, macro mode is intended, as well as LED backlight, which allows you not to use an additional flash. The basic set does not include a GPS navigator, but there is an upgraded version that costs significantly more.
Sixth place - Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT4
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT4 looks more like a toy camera than a shockproof and waterproof camera. The device is famous for its good technical characteristics and impresses with its price.
The specifications of the camera are as follows:
- 12 megapixel resolution, 4x zoom lens;
- diving depth limit - 12 meters;
- strength factor assumes a safe fall from a height of two meters;
- camera works stably at minus 10 degrees;
- video shooting - Full-HD;
- The camera has a built-in GPS chip, compass, altimeter to conquer high mountains.
The camera has gained popularity in narrow circles due to the fact that it takes pictures very quickly - 3.7 frames pergive me a sec. This factor is quite important when shooting underwater, because the most extraordinary can happen in a second.
Opens the top five Nikon Coolpix AW130
This Nikon model is in the mid-price range and is small and durable. Suitable for shooting at a depth of 20-30 meters, which is suitable for both amateurs and professionals. Operating time under water - up to an hour. The temperature limits of the chamber are up to -10 degrees. The wide-angle lens has a five-fold optical zoom, the camera's expansion is 16 megapixels, the focal length range is 24-120 mm, the aperture value is 24 mm (it has three values that change relative to the focal length), the shutter speed is F2, 8.
You may not have to dive to a depth of 30 meters on vacation, but while diving you can not worry about the integrity and safety of the camera. For shooting nimble, but very beautiful fish, the camera has a function for tracking an object, constant and frame-by-frame. Autofocus works flawlessly in both photo and video modes. This is an important parameter for underwater photography. It will not be superfluous to mention that the camera shoots Full HD video. The camera can be controlled via Wi-Fi.
Perfect Nikon Coolpix AW130 is more for amateurs. If professional shots are your goal, and the process must be controlled from start to finish, it is better to look at other models. The Nikon Coolpix AW130 is a great compact underwater camera that can becomea true friend in any extreme travel. Fans of outdoor activities will definitely like the presence of a built-in map of the world, on which you can leave points with details. In addition to the map, there is a compass, but it works very roughly.
The camera interface is quite easy to use. For example, you can change modes only by tapping on the body or tilting it. This is an ideal function for shooting in winter. Best underwater camera found.
Fourth place - Olympus Stylus Tough TG-4
Olympus is famous for its compact waterproof cameras for extreme shooting. In addition to impressive technical characteristics, the camera even looks intimidating: all connectors have rubber pads, and there is a silicone lining under the control panel. The peculiarity of the device is the presence of LED autofocus illumination and a powerful flash. This is what you need when shooting underwater, where good lighting is often a problem.
The specifications of the camera are as follows:
- You can only immerse the camera in water to a depth of 15 meters;
- device works without interruption at sub-zero temperatures;
- lens has 4x optical zoom and 16 megapixel extension;
- strength factor promises that even when falling from a height of two meters, nothing will happen to the camera;
- 5fps burst shooting feature captures even the sharpestmovement;
- the device supports shooting video in Full HD format (frequency - 30 frames per second).
- remote controlled via Wi-Fi;
- has a GPS chip and a built-in map.
The perfect extreme vacation camera.
Third place - FUJIFILM FinePix XP80
A budget camera that any fan of travel and extreme recreation can afford. If your goal is curiosity and tourist interest, then Fiuggi is the perfect option. Since for relatively little money we get a decent device.
The specifications of the camera are as follows:
- you can dive with a camera to a maximum of 15 meters;
- The camera supports the Wi-Fi remote control function.
- expansion - 16 megapixels and five times optical zoom, viewing angle - 28 mm;
- the device has an "action camera" function, which increases the viewing angle up to 18 mm;
- device supports FullHD (30fps) video recording.
Sharing the beauty of the underwater world is much easier than it seems. Seeing once is better than hearing a hundred times, and an underwater camera does a great job of this.
Second place - Nikonos 5
The Nikonos 5 is ideal for underwater photography, with lens and flash interchangeability. The standard UW-Nikkor 35 lens does a great job. CameraNikonos 5 is professional, and in many magazines and books about the underwater world, the photos presented were taken with this camera. Nikkor lenses are legendary among photographers. They have high resolution and powerful aperture, which allows you to take bright and sharp photos.
The body of the camera is metal, so this device has gained confidence even among US Navy scouts. For a waterproof underwater camera, you can choose any accompanying equipment in the form of lenses and flashes for specific purposes.
First place - camera in box
Deserved first place is occupied by the most common aquabox. The easiest option for underwater shooting is a water box, in which you can put an existing camera. Cases make it possible to take with you absolutely any camera that will meet all your needs underwater. Even a professional SLR camera has a suitable case. However, this method has a significant disadvantage - heaviness and bulkiness. Aqua boxes allow you to immerse the camera to a depth of 30 to 100 meters. For example, Canon underwater cameras are used only in special cases. The Canon G10, for example, will do its job perfectly. In addition to aqua boxes, you can use the so-called disposable underwater cameras. Despite the fact that these cameras are considered invulnerable, they also require careful maintenance.