Table of contents:
- Types of bedspreads
- Quilted bedspread
- Fur bedspread
- Patchwork bedspread
- Bonbon bedspread
- Ruffle coverlet
- Knitted bedspread
- Cover of unnecessary things
- Spread with appliqué
- Pom-pom bedspread
People have always tried to decorate their homes, be it a cave, a dugout, a merchant's house or a modern apartment. Rugs, carpets, curtains, curtains and other textile items perform not only a practical function - protection from wind, cold and light, but also a decorative one. After all, it is with the help of such things that comfort is created in the house.
Just like curtains, rugs and carpets, bedspreads play a big role. In the bedroom, the bed is the main piece of furniture, respectively, attracts all attention to itself. And the overall impression of the room depends on what the sleeping place is covered with. With the help of just one bedspread, you can create the atmosphere of a royal chamber, a hunting lodge, a warm village hut or a spaceship. It all depends on the owner of this dwelling.
But often when creating an image of a room, they are faced with the fact that there is no way to buy a bedspread in a store: either there is no suitable model or color, or it happens that the size does not fit. What then to do? Sew a blanket with your own hands. How? It all depends on whatthe product is necessary for this particular room.
Types of bedspreads
Depending on the number of layers, products are divided into:
- Single layer. As a rule, sewing a bedspread on a bed with your own hands is quite simple. To do this, you need to choose a dense fabric: tapestry, jacquard, fleece or any other, cut off the required length. If the width of the fabric is smaller than necessary for the bedspread, then you can sew it from 2 pieces of fabric, making a seam in the middle. The edge can simply be hemmed with a double hem, processed with an oblique trim, or in any other way. You can also decorate with ruffles, satin ribbon, etc. In addition, knitted, woven blankets or pom-poms can be made single-layer.
- Multilayer. In such bedspreads there are 2, 3 or more layers. They can be light or insulated with a synthetic winterizer or other filler, flat or voluminous, from a single piece of fabric or from patches.
A do-it-yourself bedspread can be made from absolutely any material. This is:
- one piece of fabric,
- junk clothes and more.
There are a few general rules for making your own bed covers:
Before starting work, any fabric must be washed without wringing, hang up, and then iron the still damp material. Most fabrics shrink between 1% and 15% during washing. Therefore, in order for the cover to please with its appearance for a long time, it is necessary to do this
Important! Cutting of parts is carried out after the fabric has sat down,therefore, it is necessary to buy it with a margin, not only for seam allowances, but also for shrinkage.
- If you make a bedspread on the bed with your own hands from old threads - knit, crochet or make pompoms, then the yarn also needs to be prepared. To do this, it is necessary to wet it and wrap it tightly, for example, on the back of a chair, and dry it. Thus, the yarn will straighten out, while working, the thread will lie down smoothly, without unnecessary twists, due to which the bedspread will have a more presentable appearance.
- When working with any materials, you must also remember that both the fabric and the threads can shed quite strongly, because of which the first wash or just a spilled glass of water can lead to sad consequences. Therefore, before starting work, it is necessary to check the material for paint fastness and, if necessary, replace the material or color.
- If you need to sew a blanket on a baby bed with your own hands, it is better to take a natural fabric. It can be calico, satin, poplin or flannel. They do not cause an allergic reaction, are pleasant to the touch, and it is quite easy to care for such a bedspread.
- Spreads made of delicate fabrics, such as satin and silk, are very beautiful, but it is better to lay them on the bed in the bedroom, where they will rarely sit on them, since the fabrics are delicate and puffs are easily put on them. If the sleeping place is in a room where companies or the whole family often gather (relevant for one-room apartments), then it is better to make a choice in favor of denser, and therefore durable fabrics.
You can do absolutely anythinghandmade bedspread. There are more than enough master classes on this topic, so there will be no particular difficulties in making a dream bedspread.
Make it easy enough. To sew a quilted bedspread on the bed with your own hands, you will need 2 pieces of fabric equal to the size of the bed + descents on the sides and in the legs, if necessary + seam allowances. If you add a synthetic winterizer between two layers of fabric, then the cover will be softer and keep its shape better, but it will puff up a little on the descents. You will also need a thread to match the color of the fabric. If the fabrics of the upper and lower parts are different colors, then 2 types of threads will be needed.
- Wash the fabric, iron it, spread it on a flat surface.
- Measure on the canvas the dimensions of the future bedspread + allowances for seams 1, 5-2 cm.
- The edges of the fabric need to be finished. This can be done with an overlock stitch, a zigzag stitch on a sewing machine, or a double hem. For the latter method, it is necessary to fold both cuts with the wrong side inward, stitch along the perimeter, stepping back 0.5-1 cm from the edge. The main thing is not to forget to leave a hole for eversion. Unscrew the resulting workpiece, and, stepping back from the edge of another 1-1.5 cm, also flash around the perimeter. This way, the piece of fabric will remain between the two seams.
- Fold the fabric face to face, sew along the perimeter, retreating 1-1.5 cm from the edge, leaving a hole. Turn inside out.
- If the bedspread is with a padding polyester, then you can insert it inside in two ways: either inp 4. the third layer of insulation is placed on the top layer and all 3 layers are sewn together (this method is convenient in further work, since the synthetic winterizer will be immediately fixed on four sides, however, when turned inside out in the seam zone, a seal is obtained, since there will be 4 layers of fabric and 2 layers of insulation), insert the padding polyester into the workpiece after turning it out like a blanket into a duvet cover (this way you can avoid unnecessary compaction in the seam area, however, with further stitching, the padding polyester can move out, forming lumps and voids.
- Sew up the hole. Mark with chalk, soap or a disappearing marker the lines along which the bedspread will be stitched. It can be squares, rhombuses of various sizes, patterns, circles, hearts and much more. The choice of the type of future stitch depends on the imagination and skills of the needlewoman. Before you start stitching the outlined lines, they must be basted manually so that the layers of fabric do not move during the stitching process. Sew along the markings on the sewing machine, remove excess threads, decorate if necessary.
The master can sew a bedspread on the bed with his own hands from a whole canvas or from large patches. Against the background of small shreds, the stitch, which is the main decoration of such a bedspread, is lost.
Fur is not only a very warm and windproof material, but also a symbol of prosperity.
You can sew a luxurious bedspread on the bed in the bedroom with your own hands from natural fur. These can be whole animal skins or trimmings, which are oftenyou can buy from fur factories, old fur coats, collars, edges and more. It is quite difficult to work with such material, but the royal hunting lodge style bedspread is worth the effort.
Highlights of working with fur:
- Skins should be fairly soft but firm. To check how high-quality the material is, you need to connect 2 parts with a few stitches and pull in different directions. If the skins are of high quality, then the base will not break. If they are not strong enough, then they can be fixed with an adhesive cloth.
- Fur must be sewn either on a special furrier machine, or by hand, with a furrier stitch.
- If the seam is hard, you can gently tap it through the towel with a hammer.
- When sewing together pieces of skins, it is necessary to choose the direction of the pile as much as possible, then the seams will practically not be visible.
- It is better to wash such a bedspread in a dry cleaner.
To do this, 2 parts are folded with fur inside, connect the edges and sew one stitch into the same hole over the edge, the second over the edge into the adjacent hole. Thus, the thread passes through each puncture twice.
Patchwork products have a special charm. Consisting of many small pieces, the canvas fascinates with its drawings and at the same time creates a warm rustic atmosphere. Using the patchwork technique, you can also make a bedspread on the bed with your own hands. Master-There are a lot of classes on the patchwork technique, so even a beginner will cope with the creation of a unique bedspread.
We, in turn, will present the basic rules for creating such a product:
- The fabric may be different in color, pattern and texture, but it must be the same density.
- You need to cut and sew parts only along the share. It's easy to define. The fabric along the share, the main thread, practically does not stretch. Therefore, if you combine the share with the transverse, then the product will be deformed.
- It is necessary to sew well-ironed patches into modules, then assemble the modules into ribbons, which are then joined into the finished product.
- For the convenience of cutting, it is necessary to make part templates on thick cardboard.
- Each piece should have seam allowances on all sides.
- The distance from the edge must be done the same so that the modules are the same, and the pattern is corner to corner.
There are a lot of types of patchwork patterns, you can find them in magazines, come up with your own or use the ones shown in the photo below.
These bedspreads are distinguished by their special volume and airiness. They look great on both children's and adult beds. The bonbon technique is a type of patchwork. Sewing a bedspread on the bed with your own hands, as in the photo below, is not very simple, but certainly interesting.
To create such a bedspread, you will need fabric - the base, the fabric on the topbubbles, about 2-4 times larger than the main fabric, threads and filler: synthetic winterizer or holofiber.
- Before cutting, you need to decide on the amount of fabric. To do this, you need square cuts of fabric 1313 cm and 2020. On a smaller square, make a 1010 markup in the center. Now, along the marking line, sew three sides of the larger square, forming folds. They can be arbitrary, go from the center or from the edges (No. 3 in the figure). Fill the resulting pocket with padding polyester. This is 1 bubble. At this stage, the upper square can be either increased or decreased, depending on the desire. When the optimal bubble volume is selected, you can proceed to the calculation. Divide the area of the future cover by 100 (the area of \u200b\u200bthe square is 1010). The resulting number is the number of bubbles on the bedspread. Based on this, calculate the size of the fabric.
- Material to prepare, iron, cut. If more than one color of fabric will be used, then prepare a color scheme on a piece of paper. Cut out the base fabric, adding 1.5-3 cm along the edges for processing them, draw them into 10x10 squares (1).
- Sew the squares of the top fabric into stripes (2). Iron the seams in different directions so that there are no extra layers of fabric.
- Now you need to sew the ribbons to the base. To do this, lay the base wrong side up. Put the tape face down on it so that the top marking line is 1-1.5 cm higher from the bottom edge of the tape. Using safety pins, form the folds of each square. Gotta watchso that the seam of the connection of the squares coincides with the transverse marking.
Important! Since this strip will turn over, you need to carefully monitor the folds. If folds from the center were chosen, then on the wrong side they should be, on the contrary, from the corners.
Sew a strip of squares to the base, lower the tape with the wrong side to the wrong side of the base. Its edge is hidden. If no other processing of the edge of the bedspread is implied, then it can also be hidden inside. To do this, at the first stage, the front side of the strip of squares is combined with the front base, stitched, turned inside out, ironed to avoid edge displacement.
Next, you need to flash the sides of each square. To do this, the extreme edges are tucked inward, folds are formed with safety pins, sewn on a typewriter.
Important! It is necessary to carefully connect the seam between the squares with the marking line and flash it. Try not to let the stitch run into any square.
In the resulting pockets (4) put insulation, use safety pins to form folds and attach to the base. The edge does not need to be folded inward.
The next row is sewn like the previous one, only this time the first stitch should match the last stitch on the finished row (5).
The last row is sewn in reverse order - first the bottom edge, then the side parts. We fill the cover with synthetic winterizer, then, having folded the edge and formed folds, we make a connecting seam. It will sink between the bubbles and will not be visible.
At the end of the work, you need to remove the extra threads, if anynecessity, to process the edge. To do this, you can use a bias trim, a double lapel, ruffles, or make a third layer of fabric to hide the seams on the bottom of the bedspread.
A handmade bedspread makes a great gift for any occasion.
These bedspreads are suitable for a little princess's room. Ruffles can be sewn only along the edge in several layers, leaving the central part of the bedspread smooth, or you can take small ones, from 5 to 15 cm, and sew over the entire surface. They can be sewn parallel to the edges or diagonally. The do-it-yourself bedspread presented in the photo above is filled with ruffles over the entire area. But you can decorate and only part of the product.
In order to sew a bed cover using ruffles with your own hands, you need 1 or 2 pieces of fabric for the base (depending on whether it will be single or multi-layered), as well as fabric for ruffles. You can calculate it in the same way as in the manufacture of a bonbon bedspread, that is, by the experimental method. To do this, you need to decide where the ruffles will be located, whether they will be double-sided (the seam will be in the center of the strip) or one-sided (the seam from the edge), through what distance and how lush. It is better to make a ruffle layout on paper. It is not necessary to take the full width for the sample, the calculations are usually performed on a small segment. After the fabric consumption is determined, you can start sewing.
- Make markings on the base fabricruffle arrangements.
- Overlap the ribbons on both sides, to obtain the required length, you can sew several strips, sew with the widest stitches at a distance of 1 cm from the edge or in the center of the strip. On one side, tie the threads, on the other hand, begin to gently pull, forming waves. The length of each ruffle should correspond to its position on the diagram. Distribute the folds evenly.
- Sew the blank to the base, attaching the wrong side of the tape to the front of the base.
- Finish the edges of the base or join with the second layer of fabric.
Another kind of very beautiful and cozy bedroom decor item is a knitted bedspread. You can make it with your own hands using knitting needles or a hook. They can be solid (a single fabric looks very nice when knitted, but it is very inconvenient to knit such a bedspread by hand) or modular (it looks like a patchwork technique, knitting is quite convenient, both on knitting needles and crocheting). Knitted bedspread will fill the room with warmth and love.
Cover of unnecessary things
A do-it-yourself bedspread in such an original style will allow you to give a second life to unnecessary things. Usually they use old knitted T-shirts and dresses, cutting them into ribbons, from which the fabric is then woven.
For the manufacture of the do-it-yourself bedspread shown in the photo above, they used an entire nurseryclothes.
Spread with appliqué
The bedspread with appliqué has a special charm. It can be childish, vegetable or any other. To make a beautiful bedspread on the bed with your own hands, you must first sew decorative elements on the top layer, and only then connect the resulting fabric with the bottom layer of the bedspread.
From yarn you can make not only a knitted product, but also incredibly soft and fluffy pom-poms. It is ideal for baby cribs. A master with extensive experience can make such a bedspread on a bed with his own hands in just a few hours. Beginners will need 2-3 days.
To make a bedspread you will need
- wooden frame size of the future product,
Nails must be driven into a wooden frame. The distance between them should be 4-4.5 cm above the frame there should be 5 cm of the nail (1).
- Tie a thread to the last nail. Then, as shown in the diagram, first make horizontal rows (2), and then vertical (3). For the base of the plaid, you will need to do 15-20 repetitions (30-40 threads at the intersection), and another 30-35 repetitions for pompoms (60-70 at the intersection). For beginners, it is better to take warp threads and pompoms of different colors, this will greatly simplify the work in the future. A fairly voluminous grid (4) was obtained.
- Eachthe intersection must be tightly tied crosswise so that the hairs of future pompons do not spill out (5). It is very important not to miss a single intersection. It is better to take threads in the colors of the base so that they are not noticeable on the finished product, and make knots on the top layer of the bedspread.
- Now cut the pom pom strings in half around each intersection (6). Already at this moment, the coverlet takes on an almost finished look (7).
- After all the pom-poms are cut, it is necessary to remove the finished product from the frame. To do this, carefully cut in half all the threads in half between the carnations and fasten immediately. This can be done with a double knot or thread to form tassels.
There are quite a lot of types of bedspreads, they can be of different shapes, structures, colors, but one thing unites them. We knit them, weave or sew them with our own hands, the bedspread on the bed in any case will bring comfort and warmth to the room, because it is made with love.