Table of contents:
- Material features
- Features of choice
- Guidelines for the buyer
- Recommended by the experts
- A worthy alternative
- Features of bonding surfaces
- Instead of a conclusion
Foam rubber is considered a universal material. It is used in needlework and in large-scale production. It is characterized by high elasticity, soft, porous structure and low cost. Therefore, it is in demand in many industries. Often it needs to be glued to solid objects. But not every glue will allow you to get a good result. Therefore, we will figure out how to glue the foam.
You need to know the properties of the material, its advantages and disadvantages. Then it will be possible to choose the ideal fastening material. It consists of polyurethane foam. The material is not subject to mold and is stored at almost any temperature.
Because of its properties and low cost, it is used as a filler for mattresses. It finds application in the production of soft toys, ordinary sponges for washing dishes. Havehim and his shortcomings. This is primarily flammability. It burns well and releases toxic substances into the air. In addition, it does not have the longest lifespan. Gradually, the material loses elasticity and elasticity, can stick together and crumble. All this must be taken into account if you are thinking about how to glue foam rubber.
Features of choice
You have a difficult task ahead of you. It is necessary to take into account many factors, otherwise the result will be difficult to call predictable. The most important thing is to choose the right tool. When deciding how to glue foam rubber, you need to pay attention to the following points:
- Compounds containing hazardous substances must be immediately removed to the side. Are you going to lay insulation in the wall, do you make upholstery for a play corner. Most often it is toluene and trichloroethane, which can be released into the air and cause harm to he alth.
- Do not use glue that can damage and corrode the surface. This applies to "The Moment" and its counterparts.
- We also remove liquid formulations, as they will clog pores and impair air circulation.
Based on this, we can say that it is best to choose a special composition. Fortunately, today the choice in construction stores is huge and you do not have to think long about how to glue foam rubber.
All of them can be divided into two large groups:
- For mass use.
Professional compositions are most often used for the production of furniture. They are of high quality and reliable, but the price for them is quite high. The second option is usually more affordable and it is much easier to find such compounds in the store.
Choosing how to glue the foam together, you need to focus on the following criteria:
- Elasticity. If the viscosity of the composition is 100 s or more, an elastic and aesthetically attractive seam is formed at the bonding point.
- Hardening speed. If this indicator is important, then you need to look for compositions where the proportion of dry matter is higher than liquid.
- Clutch speed. Surfaces should be firmly set in about 2 minutes.
- Color. It all depends on the end goal. If it is important for you that the glue line does not stand out, you need to choose the closest possible shade. Today on sale there are compositions with dyes. A wide range of colors allows everyone to find what they need. Well, if the seam is hidden from prying eyes, then the main criterion is the high-quality fastening of the two halves.
- Packaging form. When choosing which glue to glue the foam rubber with, you need to think about your comfort, that is, about the convenience of working with the composition. For example, in contrast to powder, the product in spray cans is more convenient. It does not clog the pores of the foam rubber.
Guidelines for the buyer
Many will say that it has not become clearer than it was. A huge number of criteria, but what should a simple layman take? How can you glue foam rubber securely and without unnecessaryexperiences? Pay attention to the composition. The best choice would be styrene-butadiene glue. There are a lot of them on the market today, and among other things, they are easy to use. Such compositions will make it possible to glue foam rubber to almost any surface with the least difficulty. Usually this procedure is enough for the entire life of the product, that is, you can be sure that nothing will fall off. And then consider brands that meet these requirements.
Recommended by the experts
There are quite a lot of them, so we will focus only on the most famous, released by time-tested manufacturers:
- "Rapid". An excellent choice, the glue is non-flammable, does not contain solvents, forms a dense and beautiful seam.
- The famous BF-6. It adheres perfectly to foam rubber, while the advantages include safety and ease of application.
- Glue "88". It is also called shoe. Known for a long time and at the same time does not lose popularity. The main adhesive composition is rubbers. It's ready to use, no mixing required. It is enough to apply a thin layer and you will get a reliable bond between two sheets.
- Saba. It is produced in the form of spray cans. Non-flammable and safe, high temperature resistant.
- Olimpur. Water-based formulation that requires spot application. This is convenient if the coverage area is large. The main distinguishing feature is an excellent bonding ability with various materials. These include plywood, drywall, plaster,fabrics.
A worthy alternative
And now let's imagine that the house has recently been renovated. This means that there are some adhesives left. Can I use them instead of going to the store for another remedy? Let's see how to glue the foam together at home:
- "Titan". It is intended for ceiling tiles. At the same time, the cost of a bottle is about 100 rubles, and it will hold foam rubber no worse than a tile. The disadvantages are the long drying period and the stiff seam.
- "Crystal Moment". Universal composition, and foam rubber is also listed on the packaging. If you try to stick it to a hard surface, the result will be average, you can easily tear it off. But two sheets of foam rubber will hold perfectly.
- PVA universal. Surely few people will pay attention to it if they are looking for how to glue foam rubber together at home. But despite this, the tool copes with its task. Of course, you should not try to glue the foam rubber to plywood or something else solid. But for reliable bonding, you will need to fasten the two parts with tape and leave for at least a day. The seam is good, but the task is laborious.
From this selection, the first place should be given to the universal glue "Crystal Moment". He copes with his tasks perfectly and does not cause difficulties with application. But PVA takes the last place honorably. It is quite liquid and quickly absorbed, so the consumption is large. And in order for the seam to turn out to be of high quality, you needtry hard.
Features of bonding surfaces
So, the composition is selected and you can proceed to work. But take your time, you must first learn how to glue foam rubber at home.
Practice shows that it is the neglect of the rules that leads to undesirable results:
- First of all, all surfaces to be glued must be cleaned of dirt and dust.
- Followed by degreaser treatment. White Spirit will do.
- Dry well.
- It is better to work at room temperature to avoid thickening of the composition.
- Now let's start applying the adhesive. To do this, you need to study the instructions. The fact is that each brand suggests its own form of composition (liquid and powder, ready-made solution or spray in cans for pistols). They always come with step-by-step instructions, which describe in detail how to dilute, how long to wait and how to apply.
- After application, you need to let the composition dry. This usually takes 1-2 minutes to an hour.
- After that, we compress the parts with each other for a fee and leave them to dry completely.
Instead of a conclusion
We very briefly looked at how to glue foam rubber at home. On the one hand, this is not difficult at all, but it requires certain skills. Elastic material filled with air behaves somewhat differently than dense surfaces. On the other hand, the main thing is to choose the rightglue and follow the instructions.