Table of contents:
- Craft ideas
- Properties and characteristics of gypsum
- What do you need to make a fungus garden figurine?
- Making a leg
- Make a nice hat
- Making the base
- Interesting plate
- Gypsum Pigs
It's not at all difficult to make gypsum crafts for giving with your own hands, the main thing is to approach the issue creatively. Gypsum compositions are used to decorate the interior of a room or household plots, courtyards and suburban areas. The only difference is that larger and more massive products are chosen for open space so that they do not get lost against the general background.
For interior decoration, light and small items are the best solution. They should mainly transform the home and make it cozy.
What can be done from gypsum:
- decorative elements for walls and ceilings, furniture items;
- interior accessories: figurines, vases, candlesticks;
- children's toys that children can help create.
In gardens, greenhouses, in open areas, characters of fairy tales, mythical heroes, funny figurines and knightly castles look especially impressive. Various items can reviveboring facades and fences, terraces, patios and gazebos.
In this article, we will look at how to make a fungus, leaf plates and a garden pig.
Properties and characteristics of gypsum
To make even the simplest figurine, you will need 2-3 components: water and sculptural plaster, which is a powder from a natural mineral. After interaction with the liquid, a solution is formed, which quickly hardens. The result is a durable material for further processing and giving the desired shape. It is well preserved with sudden changes in temperature, absorbs moisture, has low thermal conductivity, is safe for he alth and environmentally friendly. You can buy gypsum in hardware stores or art departments.
There are three main ways to prepare gypsum mortar for home use.
- Pure composition without impurities. It is best for making crafts for kids, even small age group. Toys made from a pure solution based on two components: gypsum and water are absolutely safe and will not harm the baby if he decides to taste them. In order to obtain a durable product at the output, it is necessary to observe the correct ratio of water and mineral. There are 7 parts of powder for 10 parts of water. A properly mixed solution has the consistency of thick sour cream. It is worth noting here that such items are not reliable, especially under mechanical influence. If the toy falls or the child accidentally drops it, it will break.This can be avoided by mixing the solution in another way.
- PVA glue is added to the composition described above. In this case, the ratio of components is as follows: 10 parts of water account for 7 parts of gypsum and 2 glue. The finished product will be strong and plastic.
- Another option for preparing a solution is more laborious, but allows you to get a better product. 1 part slaked lime is added to the base solution.
What do you need to make a fungus garden figurine?
To make this craft for home and garden, prepare:
- gypsum, you can replace it with a mixture of cement, sand and water;
- PVA glue;
- acrylic paints;
- woodcarving tool or stationery knife;
- plastic bottle;
- waterproof adhesive for joining parts;
- vegetable oil;
- Laundry soap;
Making a leg
First of all, you need to prepare a plastic bottle of the desired shape and size. A milk container works well. The upper part of the bottle is cut off with a clerical knife or scissors - this is the basis of the future mushroom.
In order for the finished element to be easily removed from the mold after solidification without breaking, the inside of the bottle must be lubricated. The soap is rubbed on a fine grater, a little water and sunflower oil are added, everything is thoroughly mixed and left until complete.soap dissolution. Then the brush is dipped in the resulting composition and the walls of the prepared bottle are lubricated.
According to the instructions, part of the gypsum is diluted, and then poured into a mold and left to dry completely. To reduce the consumption of the mineral or for other purposes, the leg of the plaster figurine can be left hollow inside. This can be done as follows: take a container of smaller diameter and place it in the middle of the bottle with the neck down in the gypsum mixture. So that it does not squeeze out, they press down with any object, for example, a book.
Gypsum hardens quite quickly, so after 40-60 minutes you can start cutting the bottle. Do this very carefully so as not to scratch the shape. The finished leg is taken out, and the protruding part of the container located inside is cut off.
Make a nice hat
To make a DIY gypsum hat for a summer residence, you need to pick up a cup or bowl of the appropriate size. Inside it is covered with cling film, while there should be no creases and folds, otherwise they will be imprinted on the surface.
After this, a gypsum composition is prepared in a known way and poured into a cup. After 3-5 minutes, the prepared leg is inserted exactly in the center and left to dry completely. Then the finished mushroom is carefully removed from the mold and the film is removed.
Making the base
The next step is the formation of the base on which the mushroom will stand. To do this, take a plate of larger diameter and cover the foodfilm, as in the previous step. A gypsum mortar is poured into it and a piece of gypsum for a summer residence is placed in the center.
They also decorate the product with their own hands. To facilitate and facilitate the process of decorating the finished figurine, the base can be made removable. In this case, the stem of the mushroom is wrapped in polyethylene and only then placed on a plate. After drying, the figure is taken out and the film is removed.
After complete drying of all parts of the fungus, they begin to decorate crafts from plaster for a summer residence. We prepare a sketch with a detailed drawing of each element with our own hands (blades of grass on a stem, insects on a hat, a door with a window, etc.) Then, according to the drawing, we transfer the sketches to the mushroom with a pencil and add volume to the lines using a thick needle.
Before painting the figurine is primed. For this, special compounds or a mixture of PVA glue and water are suitable. After applying the solution, the mushroom should dry well, only after that they begin to decorate it. If the layers of paint are not sufficiently saturated, it is applied in several layers. The final stage is the coating of the mushroom with varnish in 2-3 layers.
Do you want to surprise your guests? Serve fruit on a leaf-shaped plate.
To make this craft you will need:
- large leaf of any plant;
- gypsum mixture;
- acrylic paint;
- The working surface is covered with oilcloth or polyethylene. This is done in order tono further waste of time cleaning.
- Pour a hill of sand, the depth of the future plate depends on how high it is.
- A substrate is laid on top of the slide, and a sheet is placed upside down on it.
- Gypsum mortar is mixed with paint of the desired color and covered with a sheet. The upper part will be the bottom of the plate, so it must be leveled as much as possible for the stability of the product.
- In order to print a leaf pattern on the dishes, the gypsum is pressed tightly against the plant.
- The plate is covered with gauze and left to dry overnight.
- The finished form is turned over and the leaf of the plant is removed with a soft brush. If desired, the product can be coated with several layers of varnish.
For the manufacture of large animal figurines, as a rule, special forms are used. If there are no funds, then you can make a figurine from a bottle and a reinforced base. For convenience, each part can be made separately, then glued. So that the figures do not stick to the form, it is lubricated with a solution of liquid soap and oil.
How to make a pig:
- Make a frame out of metal rods.
- Gypsum is gradually applied to it, parts of the craft are formed.
- Allow the product to dry.
- The figure is primed and polished. Give relief. Covered in paint.
If you want to decorate your garden, then consider a theme. It is better if there are few figures, but they will harmoniously fit into the overall picture.