Table of contents:
- What material and additional accessories can be used in the process of creating an ironing board cover
- How to prepare the tool for finishing
- The principle of creating an ironing board cover
- Easier option for making a removable cover with an elastic band
Those who have damaged the ironing board cover should inquire about how to sew an ironing board cover. It turns out that this device can be created independently with minimal material costs. The manufacturing instructions are quite understandable and simple, so even a beginner needlewoman can cope with the work.
What material and additional accessories can be used in the process of creating an ironing board cover
Before sewing a cover on an ironing board, you need to prepare the appropriate materials and accessories. To create the simplest textile device with an elastic band, just pick them up from the following list:
- Dense material. Such a cover will be used for a long time, since the canvas does not deteriorate from exposure to the hot temperatures of the iron.
- A little synthetic winterizer or batting to be used to create a soft surface.
- A construction stapler is needed to attach the soft backing.
- A wide elastic band designed to fix the cover onthe surface of the wooden base.
To do the work, you need to additionally prepare scissors, chalk, measuring tape, needles and threads. The product will turn out neat and durable if you sew the workpiece on a sewing machine.
How to prepare the tool for finishing
First you need to complete the preliminary step, and only then turn to how to sew a cover on an ironing board. How the preparation is done:
- Need to determine how the old cover is attached to the ironing board.
- Remove the fabric and remove the soft backing.
- Use sandpaper to clean up small chips, scratches.
This completes the preparatory work of the board. Additionally, you can paint the legs and other metal elements.
The principle of creating an ironing board cover
It is difficult for inexperienced needlewomen to imagine how to sew a product on an ironing board if the old base has deteriorated or worn out. You need to carefully consider and complete each stage of production:
- First of all, you need to take measurements from the base. Separately determine the parameters of the upper surface, then the thickness of the board. Add the last digit to the results of the length and width. In addition, throw 20-35 cm to fix the cover from below.
- In order to figure out how to sew a cover on an ironing board, a pattern is a must. Therefore, measurements are transferred to the fabric with the help of chalk andthe surface shape of the fixture is recreated.
- Next, you need to tuck the edges and smooth them. Then roll over and iron again. Process the hem on the sewing machine.
- Then make a wider twist, which will fit the elastic in width. Hem it.
- Put an elastic band into the resulting "pocket". Leave the edges free.
- Put batting on the surface. Fix around the perimeter with a construction stapler.
- Put a prepared cover on the board. Stretch the elastic and tie in a knot. This will secure the fabric cover to the surface.
It turns out that sewing a cover on an ironing board with an elastic band is very simple, and if you have a sewing machine, it’s also fast. Do-it-yourself work will save money on professional replacement of the old coating.
Easier option for making a removable cover with an elastic band
It's much easier to sew a cover on an ironing board with your own hands. The product will be very functional, namely to serve as a cape. This option is relevant, since when removing the old coating, the base can be significantly damaged. It is also possible to simplify the process and make work easier by not making a pattern.
To do this, you will need the following tools and materials:
- Linear meter of dense fabric. It is advisable to use textiles for making bed linen.
- Elastic band of any thickness.
- Chalk or pencil.
The principle of making a removable cover without a special pattern:
- Unfold the piece of fabric and place it on the surface of the ironing board.
- Trace the shape of the hard surface with a pencil.
- You can simply lay the folded ironing board on a piece of fabric and circle the silhouette.
- In addition to the resulting sketch, add 15 cm from all sides.
- Fold the edges twice. In each doorway you need to hide 7.5 cm.
- Smooth these 2 folds of fabric. Use the sewing machine to sew.
- Using the tape, measure the width of the board in the places where the elastic band is supposed to be fixed. Two dots around the edges are enough.
- Move the parameter to the rubber band. Then tuck 2 cm from the ends to sew the elastic to the cover. This will cause the elastic to stretch a little, fixing the cover on the surface of the board.
You can wear the product at any time. Or you can not take it off at all.