Table of contents:
Two-component silicone paste - something that many craftswomen today find it difficult to do without. Handmade work has been valued quite highly in recent years, so there are no fewer freelancers involved in hand-made. On the contrary, their number is only growing, and the market is trying to adapt, offering products that make the task of creators easier.
What is silicone paste?
This is a food-grade silicone material, usually consisting of two components. It hardens quickly (30-60 minutes), so the process of obtaining forms from it will not take much time. In addition, the finished mold will have properties such as strength, elasticity and a pleasant appearance.
Now the products of the company Sillicreations are popular on the market, which has been promoting its product in Russia for several years now. Among the characteristics of this auxiliary material is resistance to high temperatures. This makes it an indispensable assistant in creating things from baked clay, since the part can be subjected toheat treated with paste.
Scope of application
Thanks to the development of technology, it has become possible to make reusable molds on our own. Silicone paste for molds is designed to help in this process and greatly simplify it. It gives the opportunity to create even products according to the cast of the desired object. And this means that you no longer have to waste time looking for the required mold, because you can make it yourself.
It is suitable for home and professional use in many areas: cooking, making costume jewelry, soap, toys, clothing parts. In addition, the mass is easy to use, so if you wish, you can include children in the process.
Silicone paste allows you to make molds not only from casts of objects. It also produces excellent texture sheets with original ornaments based on the sketches of the master himself. In a word, products of any complexity are created using this material.
How to work with pasta?
I will use SILLI's instruction as an example as many people prefer it:
- Choose a sample of the future product. Since the material is non-toxic, anything can be used as a blank: from a bead to a chocolate candy.
- Mix the components of the paste in equal proportions, knead the resulting mass in your fingers for 60 seconds until a homogeneous dense state. The desired consistency will be maintainedwithin 10 minutes, so it is advisable to have everything at hand. In addition, manufacturers strongly recommend not to knead too much silicone at a time. If it is necessary to make several molds, the remaining mass is removed in the refrigerator - there it will not begin to harden.
- Before creating an impression of the substance, give the desired shape. Then imprint the sample into it, gently pushing it inward. Be sure to make sure that the silicone paste covers the object completely, and the taken layer is thick enough.
- Leave the mold together with the workpiece to harden at room temperature. The exposure time depends on the brand and type of material used. Usually it is 30-60 minutes, but there are exceptions. For example, one of the outdated products from Sillicreations required up to three hours. It is advisable to place the future mold where small children and animals cannot reach it.
- Remove the sample from the mold and leave it to harden for another two days. If there is no such amount of time left, the cast is placed in an oven heated to 100 degrees. Approximate exposure time - 10 minutes. However, it is still worth making sure that the silicone paste has hardened.
- Before use, hold the mold under running hot water.
Like any other material, paste has its own nuances and recommendations for use, the observance of which will greatly simplify the task. For example:
- To avoid contamination of the work surface, it is worthuse a modeling mat.
- Work with silicone with clean and dry hands. And it is better to wear gloves - this will protect it from fingerprints.
- Before using the form, you need to make sure it is strong.
The silicone paste for making molds is stored in any dark place, most importantly, away from children and animals. Despite the absence of toxic substances in the composition, swallowing the mass is still not advised, and if this happens, gastric lavage will be required.